The Student Room Group

Head Boy Speech

I am applying for the head boy position, and I would appreciate any advice on how to improve. Feel free to leave any comments

For those of you who do not know me, I am *****, standing for the position of head boy. When people see me, they may think that I can’t become a Head Boy. I know some of you may be thinking, “he’s too small to do this” as I speak. However, I'm here to show these doubts do not change what I can achieve. So let me tell you why you should vote for me as head boy.

I want to be head boy, as I am someone dedicated to this role, and I want to dedicate myself to making this school the best it can be. Throughout my time as a ******, I have become someone reliable, excelling in academics, and a great leader. I have led in football tournaments for younger years, helped in retirement homes and charity shops, and I have been. This has helped me develop the skills I need to lead and represent the school in a positive manner.

I am not going to stand here and make a list of false, unrealistic promises. Instead, I want to make changes based on what the students want. Firstly, I plan to provide access to the upstairs school toilets during lunch. Toilets have been a recurring issue for students, and adding more access can reduce the problems caused inside them. However, this leads into my second point that students lack a voice. There is no platform for students to have their issues fully expressed and considered. That is why I want to create a system, where students can voice their issues louder. This will not just extend to school issues, but give students more involvement in school decisions like trips and changes. Being able to express what you want is very important, and I feel like it is not considered enough at the moment. Secondly, I am planning to introduce access to the sports hall during lunch. Lunchtimes have people booting basketballs, and unable to play what they want due to a lack of space. That is why I am willing to open up the sports hall to year 9 students, once a week at lunch times. This offers a way to play football, basketball and other sports in the peace of the sports hall. Finally, I want to introduce a house points heroes system. House points have become a redundant system that lacks proper value. Getting a reward of 10 house points always seems disappointing, with little impact. Therefore, I want to introduce a way in which house points can be spent on multiple rewards like lunch time passes, and sports hall passes. .

I’ve realised, being head boy is not about being better than anyone. It’s about having the trust to organise and represent our school with enthusiasm, and having the confidence to step up outside my comfort zone. I have a willingness to listen to your ideas, the ability to work hard, and hopefully a sense of humour. I So, I want you to think; do you want a ** where your opinions and effort are valued? Thank you for your time.
Reply 1
Original post by J_olo
I am applying for the head boy position, and I would appreciate any advice on how to improve. Feel free to leave any comments

For those of you who do not know me, I am *****, standing for the position of head boy. When people see me, they may think that I can’t become a Head Boy. I know some of you may be thinking, “he’s too small to do this” as I speak. However, I'm here to show these doubts do not change what I can achieve. So let me tell you why you should vote for me as head boy.

I want to be head boy, as I am someone dedicated to this role, and I want to dedicate myself to making this school the best it can be. Throughout my time as a ******, I have become someone reliable, excelling in academics, and a great leader. I have led in football tournaments for younger years, helped in retirement homes and charity shops, and I have been. This has helped me develop the skills I need to lead and represent the school in a positive manner.

I am not going to stand here and make a list of false, unrealistic promises. Instead, I want to make changes based on what the students want. Firstly, I plan to provide access to the upstairs school toilets during lunch. Toilets have been a recurring issue for students, and adding more access can reduce the problems caused inside them. However, this leads into my second point that students lack a voice. There is no platform for students to have their issues fully expressed and considered. That is why I want to create a system, where students can voice their issues louder. This will not just extend to school issues, but give students more involvement in school decisions like trips and changes. Being able to express what you want is very important, and I feel like it is not considered enough at the moment. Secondly, I am planning to introduce access to the sports hall during lunch. Lunchtimes have people booting basketballs, and unable to play what they want due to a lack of space. That is why I am willing to open up the sports hall to year 9 students, once a week at lunch times. This offers a way to play football, basketball and other sports in the peace of the sports hall. Finally, I want to introduce a house points heroes system. House points have become a redundant system that lacks proper value. Getting a reward of 10 house points always seems disappointing, with little impact. Therefore, I want to introduce a way in which house points can be spent on multiple rewards like lunch time passes, and sports hall passes. .

I’ve realised, being head boy is not about being better than anyone. It’s about having the trust to organise and represent our school with enthusiasm, and having the confidence to step up outside my comfort zone. I have a willingness to listen to your ideas, the ability to work hard, and hopefully a sense of humour. I So, I want you to think; do you want a ** where your opinions and effort are valued? Thank you for your time.

I like the initiatives, but I would consider perhaps expressing what skill you have gained from your experiences, as the examples are very varied and could definitely delve deeper into your qualifications. Such as for the retirement homes could perhaps extend to say something like,' Care work will challenge me to grow, see things from other people's perspectives, and develop more profound skills you sometimes take for granted, like listening and communication...'

Also, the intro is humorous, which may work for your audience as you obviously know them, but I would suggest not having an immediate negative narrative about yourself. Your height doesn't quantify for lack of skills, so don't immediately give them that thought to wait for a few lines. Pull them in with confidence something more profound such as you believe you have a personal responsibility to make a positive impact, that is why you have so and so plans...if you want to make a relatable joke, emphasise the small but mighty theme a bit more clearly.

I have probably overstepped too much, but honestly, I am so bored now. This is a good distraction. Your last paragraph has to be punchy and clear. This is where I may have overstepped. I have slightly altered yours; please ignore it if you do not want to look at it...but I just tried to neaten it up a tad.

'The role of the head boy is about something other than being the best. It's about having the trust to organise and represent our school with enthusiasm and the confidence to step outside one's comfort zone to reach common goals. I want to listen to your ideas, work hard, and have a sense of humour...I think. So, do you want a ** where your opinions and effort are valued? If so, please consider me for your next head boy. I promise not to disappoint. Thank you all for your time'

I hope it all goes well for you..... Good luck
Original post by J_olo

Overall, it's reasonable. You said "second point", then "Secondly", which is a minor error. However, how exactly will you lead the student body to achieve these goals? How will you create a voice for students? It sounds like you have a lot of ideas that are relevant to your school, but you're relaying them from a passive perspective instead of an active one.

For example, you could proclaim, "We as students need to have a stronger voice. Particularly as senior pupils at this school, we should have greater involvement in trips, access to facilities and school initiatives. Is it not frustrating to even be prohibited access to the upstairs school toilets at lunch when we make up over 1,000 students? With me as your head boy, I will advocate for the changes that we deserve."

If you maintain that powerful tone that shows you will defend your peers despite resistance and pushback from senior management, you will win the vote. (You should be prepared to fight back against a "no" with evidence and data to prove that your changes would be much more beneficial than the school remaining as it is, then demonstrate practical ways of achieving them without increasing the workload for the staff. If you can't or it seems too daunting, reconsider the likelihood of your promises being implemented.)
Reply 3
Thank you for the help, I am currently applying it to my speech. Would it be fine for me to add the humour in my intro to the end, so the start is not as negative?
Original post by astrid17
I like the initiatives, but I would consider perhaps expressing what skill you have gained from your experiences, as the examples are very varied and could definitely delve deeper into your qualifications. Such as for the retirement homes could perhaps extend to say something like,' Care work will challenge me to grow, see things from other people's perspectives, and develop more profound skills you sometimes take for granted, like listening and communication...'

Also, the intro is humorous, which may work for your audience as you obviously know them, but I would suggest not having an immediate negative narrative about yourself. Your height doesn't quantify for lack of skills, so don't immediately give them that thought to wait for a few lines. Pull them in with confidence something more profound such as you believe you have a personal responsibility to make a positive impact, that is why you have so and so plans...if you want to make a relatable joke, emphasise the small but mighty theme a bit more clearly.

I have probably overstepped too much, but honestly, I am so bored now. This is a good distraction. Your last paragraph has to be punchy and clear. This is where I may have overstepped. I have slightly altered yours; please ignore it if you do not want to look at it...but I just tried to neaten it up a tad.

'The role of the head boy is about something other than being the best. It's about having the trust to organise and represent our school with enthusiasm and the confidence to step outside one's comfort zone to reach common goals. I want to listen to your ideas, work hard, and have a sense of humour...I think. So, do you want a ** where your opinions and effort are valued? If so, please consider me for your next head boy. I promise not to disappoint. Thank you all for your time'

I hope it all goes well for you..... Good luck
Reply 4
Original post by J_olo
Thank you for the help, I am currently applying it to my speech. Would it be fine for me to add the humour in my intro to the end, so the start is not as negative?

yeah that's a good place to add it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending