The Student Room Group

Wrong question answered

I did AQA paper 2. We had to write a speech but I wrote a letter. How many marks will I lose?
Reply 1
Hey there! I don't think you will lose too many marks. You must have written dear and thank you at the end but apart from that your writing should be structured into paragraphs just like a speech would be. Did you write a formal or informal letter because that would affect the tone depending on what you had to write about.
Original post by swintersx
I did AQA paper 2. We had to write a speech but I wrote a letter. How many marks will I lose?

You don't lose marks necessarily. However, a speech is very different from a letter, and a good letter is a bad speech.

Being honest, you probably did not gain that many marks. Looking at the AQA mark scheme, you probably would not get higher than 13/24 (Lower Level 3) for content and organisation, because your tone, style and register would not generally be matched to the purpose and audience, even if you met the other marking points. (Not an examiner. Just read through the guidance.)

If your letter was really good, then your technical accuracy marks shouldn't be greatly affected, but even so, you wouldn't get above 30 even if you normally perform to a near-full-mark standard, and if you get average grades, you should be expecting somewhere near 24/40. If your technical accuracy is typically bad, then less than that.

If you're disappointed by this, it isn't the end of the world. The 2019 grade boundary for a 9 was 127/160, so if you normally perform well overall and that's what you want, it is still achievable. A 7 was 108/160 and a 4 was 76/160, so you definitely won't fail completely if you achieved a score that's similar to what I outlined. You may also surprise yourself if your letter was closer to the style of a speech than you thought.

What I will say is don't lose hope. You might not be able to catch it up with a later exam anymore, but if what you have done is good quality, then it will balance out.
Reply 3
Original post by swintersx

What was the question ? What techniques did you use ?
Reply 4
What was the theme of the speech about ? Which side of the argument did people support?

How did everyone get on with time management in Part A ?
Original post by SagaciousSag
You don't lose marks necessarily. However, a speech is very different from a letter, and a good letter is a bad speech.

Being honest, you probably did not gain that many marks. Looking at the AQA mark scheme, you probably would not get higher than 13/24 (Lower Level 3) for content and organisation, because your tone, style and register would not generally be matched to the purpose and audience, even if you met the other marking points. (Not an examiner. Just read through the guidance.)

If your letter was really good, then your technical accuracy marks shouldn't be greatly affected, but even so, you wouldn't get above 30 even if you normally perform to a near-full-mark standard, and if you get average grades, you should be expecting somewhere near 24/40. If your technical accuracy is typically bad, then less than that.

If you're disappointed by this, it isn't the end of the world. The 2019 grade boundary for a 9 was 127/160, so if you normally perform well overall and that's what you want, it is still achievable. A 7 was 108/160 and a 4 was 76/160, so you definitely won't fail completely if you achieved a score that's similar to what I outlined. You may also surprise yourself if your letter was closer to the style of a speech than you thought.

What I will say is don't lose hope. You might not be able to catch it up with a later exam anymore, but if what you have done is good quality, then it will balance out.
Original post by StylesJMS
What was the theme of the speech about ? Which side of the argument did people support?

How did everyone get on with time management in Part A ?

This thread would probably be better for discussion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending