The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

University of Reading

Hey, I have applied to Reading and it states on their website that you can be guaranteed a place even if you receive one grade below the actual requirements.

I wanted to know if this still applies to contextual offers?

Thanks!
Yes tbh most unis u can still get a place if they’re not top. Reading was my insurance but I got into a Russel group firm missing offer by 2 grades
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by Razzn
Hey, I have applied to Reading and it states on their website that you can be guaranteed a place even if you receive one grade below the actual requirements.

Thanks!

As long at the course to which you have applied is not one of those to which their "firm choice scheme" does not apply (for that you'd need to check the individual page for your course), and as long as you select Reading as your firm choice - then yes, it would apply to a contextual offer.

For example, for BSc Architecture they say, "Select Reading as your firm choice on UCAS and we'll guarantee you a place even if you don't quite meet your offer. For details, see our firm choice scheme." (my emphasis) The "firm choice scheme" link then clarifies that "don't quite meet" means "achieve one grade lower".

They don't say, "the standard offer" or "the typical offer" - they say "your offer". That would therefore apply to a contextual offer if that is the offer you received.
Reply 3
ah okay that makes sense, Thanks!
Original post by DataVenia
As long at the course to which you have applied is not one of those to which their "firm choice scheme" does not apply (for that you'd need to check the individual page for your course), and as long as you select Reading as your firm choice - then yes, it would apply to a contextual offer.

For example, for BSc Architecture they say, "Select Reading as your firm choice on UCAS and we'll guarantee you a place even if you don't quite meet your offer. For details, see our firm choice scheme." (my emphasis) The "firm choice scheme" link then clarifies that "don't quite meet" means "achieve one grade lower".

They don't say, "the standard offer" or "the typical offer" - they say "your offer". That would therefore apply to a contextual offer if that is the offer you received.
Original post by Razzn

Thanks!

Hey @Razzn,
Having spoken to our admissions teams, I can confirm that unfortunately the firm choice grade drop scheme does not apply to contextualised offers because the contextual offer itself is a two grade drop. I would encourage you to check out this page and use it to contact admissions if you're confused. Apologies for the mix-up here - if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask, we're here to help!
Kat :smile:
3rd Year History Undergraduate
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @Razzn,
Having spoken to our admissions teams, I can confirm that unfortunately the firm choice grade drop scheme does not apply to contextualised offers because the contextual offer itself is a two grade drop. I would encourage you to check out this page and use it to contact admissions if you're confused. Apologies for the mix-up here - if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask, we're here to help!

Thanks for checking with the admissions team. When you spoke with them, did you point out that the wording on each course page says "we'll guarantee you a place even if you don't quite meet your offer"?

If the phrase "your offer" doesn't actually mean "the offer you received" then this wording is very misleading. I suspect it's not the admissions team who are responsible for these pages. Do you know who is? (I'd like to contact them to point out how misleading the wording is, and suggest it be changed.)
Original post by DataVenia
Thanks for checking with the admissions team. When you spoke with them, did you point out that the wording on each course page says "we'll guarantee you a place even if you don't quite meet your offer"?

If the phrase "your offer" doesn't actually mean "the offer you received" then this wording is very misleading. I suspect it's not the admissions team who are responsible for these pages. Do you know who is? (I'd like to contact them to point out how misleading the wording is, and suggest it be changed.)

Hey @DataVenia!

Not a problem :smile: The admissions team would be the best people to get in touch with, as they likely advise on the website's wording. You can get in touch with them here: [email protected]

Lottie
GRTUK and Reading alumna (History)
Reply 7
Hey @Razzn,

ah I understand, Thanks!
Reply 8
I also wanted to know if my offer is BBC and I get ABD or A*BD then could that get me in? Thanks so much!
Hey @Razzn,
Original post by Razzn
I also wanted to know if my offer is BBC and I get ABD or A*BD then could that get me in? Thanks so much!

Hi again @Razzn,
This is a difficult one to answer - unfortunately we're not really able to say. Each application is considered individually, dependent on what specific grades are required/you attain, your original offer, and the course you're applying to. If you're really concerned, we'd highly recommend getting in touch directly with the admissions team at [email protected] or via telephone at +44 (0) 118 378 8372.
We're really sorry we can't offer a clearer answer for you. Although it is easier said than done, please try your best not to worry - you're probably doing better than you think, just make sure to look after yourself!
If you have any other questions, please let us know :smile:
Kat
Reply 10
thanks! and yh I'm probably stressing more than I should 😭
Hi again @Razzn,
This is a difficult one to answer - unfortunately we're not really able to say. Each application is considered individually, dependent on what specific grades are required/you attain, your original offer, and the course you're applying to. If you're really concerned, we'd highly recommend getting in touch directly with the admissions team at [email protected] or via telephone at +44 (0) 118 378 8372.
We're really sorry we can't offer a clearer answer for you. Although it is easier said than done, please try your best not to worry - you're probably doing better than you think, just make sure to look after yourself!
If you have any other questions, please let us know :smile:
Kat
Original post by Razzn
thanks! and yh I'm probably stressing more than I should 😭

We all do - you're only human after all! Just make sure to keep doing those practice papers and asking your teachers for feedback on how to improve and I'm sure you'll absolutely smash it :smile:
Kat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending