The Student Room Group

Deleted post

Delete post
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Tati98
Studying music undergrad, having completed a foundation and first year. I am taking on a history module next year and it has made me think longer term, what my career goals are. While unsure, I believe graduating with a history degree will provide better opportunities than music. I am not looking to be a performer, rather a musicologist / ethnomusicologist which focuses on historical, political and social contexts to music. The study and analysis of music is needed for this job.

However, I have noticed in all of the papers I have handed in over the last two years, I get great feedback on context and not so great feedback on the music analysis. I know this is something to work on, but I have still be considering how easy it will be for me to find employment with such a niche set of skills, within a music degree. It is making me think I should have chosen a bachelors in history (major) while exploring music analysis as a minor. I don't think this is possible in uk universities and I have a couple other odds stacked against me.

I am a mature student with terrible A level results and got onto the music degree through studying a foundation year first. I don't have the history entry requirements but I'm waiting to hear back if the last two years of studying and passing with high marks would mean anything in letting me transfer. I don't think I can transfer to second year history as 'History pathways' are modules no one can transfer to. I'm not sure what history pathways means but assuming anything undergrad in the history department.

Any thoughts?

Prospective music undergrad student here. Speaking as someone who originally held offers for both English lit and History and English Lit, but then switched to Music, I totally get the conflicting interests. Well it's not really conflicting so much as overlapping.

The reason I originally applied for History/English was for the sake of career opportunities, as you say, with music being such a niche field. To cut a very long story short, I realised fundamentally that music was the thing I belong to more than anything else. Hence the change of mind.

I totally get what you mean with wanting to focus more on musicology, and thus the historical context as opposed to the theoretical practise of music. I have a friend who is going on to study a degree specifically on Ethnomusicology. Perhaps try looking into something like that? Alls I am thinking is that there is a bit of a shortfall switching just to History in that then you might find it harder to go down the Musicology path without a) being in that environment, b) having the necessary theory skills to allow you to pursue it. I feel like anything music related at uni is difficult unless you are fully within it already. Throughout the remainder of your degree, can you not choose modules to weigh your specialities more towards Musicology, and less towards comp/performance?

The Major/Minor thing seems to be more of a thing in American unis, with only a handful of UK unis offering it. Would have saved me a lot of bloody trouble if we had that as custom over here haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending