The Student Room Group

Media studies (a-level)

Hi, I'm doing a-level media, and I might not sure how to revise for it. My teacher has not provided US a text book to refer to and she doesn' make PowerPoints either. I didn't do media at GCSE level so this is all very new to me. My year 12 mocks are coming up soon and I'm super stressed. Is it possible for someone to help with the structure for different kinds of marker essays?
(edited 10 months ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by $tressedstudent
Hi, I'm doing a-level media, and I might not sure how to revise for it. My teacher has not provided US a text book to refer to and she doesn' make PowerPoints either. I didn't do media at GCSE level so this is all very new to me. My year 12 mocks are coming up soon and I'm super stressed. Is it possible for someone to help with the structure for different kinds of marker essays?

Hello there, I have done A-Level Media Studies (Eduqas) and can help with any questions, I have just sat my papers this May/June and I am confident I received a high grade.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Aceful
Hello there, I have done A-Level Media Studies (Eduqas) and can help with any questions, I have just sat my papers this May/June and I am confident I received a high grade.

hiya thank you for the replying! Could you lmk how to structure 30 markers in paper one? and how would approach the unseen question if it was a music video??
Reply 4
Original post by $tressedstudent
hiya thank you for the replying! Could you lmk how to structure 30 markers in paper one? and how would approach the unseen question if it was a music video??

For the 30 markers I would always underline the key words/command words in the question and constantly refer to them during your answer. The best thing to do is to not be intimidated by the question and quickly plan before you write. For example if it's a 30 marker comparison between an unseen and a set product. Quickly write down or keep a mental note of points about the set product (one for each paragraph) then slot in the comparison for the unseen, using the points you made for your set product as leverage to build your unseen comparison.

In terms of structuring, I personally used PEEL, Point, Evidence, Explain and Link, Linking it to a theory and back to the key words from the question. This is effective but when linking to theories, make sure you aren't explaining the theory itself as the examiners know the theories, they want to see how you apply your knowledge of them in regards to the media products.

For unseen music videos, I would create 4 columns on your notes and write camera, editing, narrative and meaning. just make short notes on each that can aid you when developing your response. Also brainstorm different theories and make note of them to help you remember what theories can be used with the points.

I also recommend checking out the Eduqas Media Studies website if you haven't yet, there is an exam walkthrough video for both papers which has an examiner going over different answers and explaining how or why the students achieved top end of the mark scheme or vice versa. It really helps you understand what the examiner wants to see.

Hope this helps, anymore questions let me know :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest