The Student Room Group

Should I Do Media??

I want to go into Marketing for a degree, so for A levels i wanted to do maths, media studies and psychology. But i’ve heard unis look down on media studies but i’m unsure if it’s only bc ppl decide to do a more facilitating subject at degree level for example maths, so if you did media studies they wouldn’t take you. But if you wanted to do a subject that had a good relation to media, like marketing, should I be okay??
Reply 1
Original post by _elsie64
I want to go into Marketing for a degree, so for A levels i wanted to do maths, media studies and psychology. But i’ve heard unis look down on media studies but i’m unsure if it’s only bc ppl decide to do a more facilitating subject at degree level for example maths, so if you did media studies they wouldn’t take you. But if you wanted to do a subject that had a good relation to media, like marketing, should I be okay??

I think it’s more about the transferable skills you get from other A levels that makes them more desirable to unis. If you really want to do media studies A level, do, but unis might look better on your application to marketing if you did history or English or something like that. Same with things like law: they’d prefer English/history/politics than law A level.
Overall, it’s not too important either way, but I think it’s not just the case that unis see it as less valuable if you’re applying to maths or psychology. That said, if you do really well in media studies they’re not going to take someone with lower grades in a more “challenging subject” so it depends on how you think it will play out.

Quick Reply

Latest