The Student Room Group

Can I do psychology at university with my A-level choices?

I start y12 next week and i’m panicking because I don’t know what subjects to take. I’m interested in studying psychology (possibly clinical psychology) at university. My current subject choices are psychology, biology and chemistry. I’m happy with psych and bio but I think I might hate chemistry and i’m considering switching to media studies. I think I’ll enjoy media as I definitely have a more creative side to me and it could link well with psychology, but I’m worried that because it’s considered a more ‘soft’ subject and psychology is quite a competitive thing to get into it may restrict my options or stop me from getting into it. I don’t know much about applying to uni or anything like that at the moment, so just wondering if anyone could give me their honest thoughts on whether this is a good idea? Just to add I may do an EPQ which might help? Thanks
(edited 8 months ago)
I got 4/5 offers (rejected by cambridge) with the subjects psychology, religious studies, art (+ psychology related EPQ) so I think youll be alright with media studies
Reply 2
You should be fine taking Media as your third A-Level. However, you could see how you are finding Chemistry and see if you can switch if you aren't liking it?

I did Media at A-Level so I can answer any questions about it if you want to learn more about the subject.
Reply 3
Original post by user01906002
I’m interested in studying psychology (possibly clinical psychology) at university.

For clinical Psychology you will need a Masters degree, a PhD and years of experience - it isnt something you qualify for an undergraduate level - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/clinical-psychologist - and the entry level job openings in Psych practice are very small in number which is why most Psych grads end up working in other areas. And to be a Psychiatrist, you will need to train as a doctor first then do Psych.

Psych at degree level is a science - not a social science - so you will need at least one science A level, sometimes two, and a high level of Maths to get a place at a sensible Uni. Psych, Bio, and Chem would be fine. And make sure that any Psych degree course is accredited by the BPS, otherwise its a waste of time and money - https://portal.bps.org.uk/Accredited-Courses

Quick Reply

Latest