The Student Room Group

can someone get a good psychology related job at 18?

I genuinely dont think im gonna get the grades for uni, so I was wondering if there are any good psych jobs that can be obtained at like 18?
I was thinking something like a councillor at a school but idk if im too young for it.
Reply 1
Counselling is at least a college level diploma qualification. However if you have an aptitude for it I think you could be successful. Regarding age, there’s a balance between your clients being able to relate to you and you having enough life experience to give some perspective. A good young persons counsellor will be worth their weight in gold though. Maybe try a careers advisor for some help in deciding the direction you want to go
Reply 2
Original post by Zarek
Counselling is at least a college level diploma qualification. However if you have an aptitude for it I think you could be successful. Regarding age, there’s a balance between your clients being able to relate to you and you having enough life experience to give some perspective. A good young persons counsellor will be worth their weight in gold though. Maybe try a careers advisor for some help in deciding the direction you want to go

thank u, I mean I was thinking of maybe contacting schools in my area and seeing if they need like a lower school counsellor (like yr7-9) but idk
You're unlikely to find any jobs in psychology without at least an undergraduate degree and some kind of relevant experience, the job market is just too saturated. To practice counselling, you'd need to be qualified and have substantially more life experience than an 18 year old would typically have. You'd be best off looking for roles in a voluntary capacity, like working for Childine or the Samaritans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending