The Student Room Group

groupchat dilemma

I'm moving to uni in september and I recently downloaded my accommodation's app to talk with my future flatmates. The thing is, I'm scared of opting into the chat (meaning to appear on the list of participants).

At first I did, but then I undid it because I'm kind of embarrassed of being the only one with a long, ethnic full name. I checked and there's no way to change the way my name appears on the app...

So my question is, is there any reason for me to opt back into the chat or should I let them find out about me in september?
Reply 1
It can be nice to opt in just to get an understanding of what kind of people they are so you can prepare yourself for what kind of vibe your flat will have. But that's only if you think knowing them in advance would help you. If not then plenty of people go to uni without joining flat chats and they do fine. At the end of the day, most people make friends more in the classes and in societies. But yeah, of getting to know them would make you comfier then rejoin but if the way your name shows up makes you too uncomfy then it's fair not to (but hopefully they won't bat an eye at your name).
Original post by Anonymous
I'm moving to uni in september and I recently downloaded my accommodation's app to talk with my future flatmates. The thing is, I'm scared of opting into the chat (meaning to appear on the list of participants).

At first I did, but then I undid it because I'm kind of embarrassed of being the only one with a long, ethnic full name. I checked and there's no way to change the way my name appears on the app...

So my question is, is there any reason for me to opt back into the chat or should I let them find out about me in september?

Hey there!
I absolutely wouldn't be worried about this. It's nothing to be embarrassed of and you're missing out on vital time to get to know them if you don't opt-in. I understand why you might feel apprehensive but at the end of the day you're going to be living with them for a year. Getting to know them before going would be the best thing to do as it might ease your worries a little bit and help you make friends beforehand rather than chucking yourself in at the deep end in September. I don't think they'd even think twice about your name to be honest but I understand why this might startle you. The best thing you can do is just introduce yourself and start up a conversation to take away any possible awkwardness that may occur before you move in. If you choose not to and end up leaving it until September, that's three months longer that these people have been getting to know each other than you have and that may set you back. Give it a go and see how you get on.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Anon,

Love your name :suith:! It's yours.

Maybe it has meaning or significance in your culture, and it's part of your identity!

It can be difficult explaining how to pronounce your name and I know that people can try and shorten it and that you may or may not like that, but your name is your name and you should not feel awkward about your name.

Uni is a great opportunity for people to learn about different cultures and backgrounds :thumbsup:.

Your name is one way to begin that learning!

Oluwatosin 2nd year student– University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending