The Student Room Group

Can I apply to Pharmacy/pharmacology without A-Level Biology?

I'm in Year 12, and am currently studying chemistry, maths and psychology A Levels. I've been interested in getting into a career in pharmacy, but I feel that I could be a weak candidate as I do not take A Level biology. Although a lot of uni courses ask for requirements that I fit (chemistry and THEN one of biology, physics or maths), I feel that I am at a disadvantage in comparison to others who may apply to the same course and do biology, chemistry AND maths.
I have strong GCSEs at 9998888775, with all 8s and 9s in maths, both eng lang AND eng lit and combined science.
My question is, is it safe for me to apply to competitive pharmacy courses and not be viewed as a weak candidate, despite my lack of A-Level biology?
If the course doesn't require A-level Biology then you are fine. Unis really don't have "hidden agendas" when it comes to such things on the whole.

Note also pharmacy is very different to pharmacology. It's important to understand that difference as they lead to completely different end goals potentially.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
If the course doesn't require A-level Biology then you are fine. Unis really don't have "hidden agendas" when it comes to such things on the whole.

Note also pharmacy is very different to pharmacology. It's important to understand that difference as they lead to completely different end goals potentially.

Oops I was being a bit too vague there haha... but thanks a lot, I've been worrying about this for a while!
Reply 3
Useful explanation of both courses - Choosing between Pharmacy and Pharmacology (bath.ac.uk)

Bath requires Chem and 'another science' for entry to both these degrees, and sciences includes subjects like Geography and Psychology, Computer Science etc. Other Unis may also accept 'science related' subjects for the 2nd science requirement - just check their webpages,
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Useful explanation of both courses - Choosing between Pharmacy and Pharmacology (bath.ac.uk)

Bath requires Chem and 'another science' for entry to both these degrees, and sciences includes subjects like Geography and Psychology, Computer Science etc. Other Unis may also accept 'science related' subjects for the 2nd science requirement - just check their webpages,

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending