The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

B100 Business and management

Hi everyone, I’m starting this in February and I am so nervous! I’ve not done any school in YEARS, can anyone give me any tips or anything to help me get a hang of studying again? I went with Open University because the distance learning part time works perfect with my home/work life but I’ve not written an essay or anything in so long.
Hi @saph000

Congratulations on your offer!

I remember how nervous I was when I started my degree, but I ended up getting the hang of it. I would advise you to not shy away from asking for help or clarity on coursework if you are stuck on something. Once you start your course or degree, please ask your student support team or lecturers to provide you with study skills advice, sessions, or e-books. This will help you get back into 'study mode' and understand what is required of you as an online student.

Since you will be studying online, I would say that it is important to stay determined on what you want to achieve from your degree or course. This helped me push through tricky times and times where I doubted myself as an online student. Also, note that it is essential to manage your time well, and learn to not overload yourself with tasks.

Best wishes
Minkateko - University of Essex Online Student Ambassador
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by saph000
Hi everyone, I’m starting this in February and I am so nervous! I’ve not done any school in YEARS, can anyone give me any tips or anything to help me get a hang of studying again? I went with Open University because the distance learning part time works perfect with my home/work life but I’ve not written an essay or anything in so long.

Hi, I'm starting this course in October, I haven't really done any studying for erm 30 plus years lol, I wouldn't worry too much, as apparently they structure their courses so they guide you gently into studying again. I hope??? I have been doing some free courses on openlearn, https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses/full-catalogue, I've just finished english skills for learning and suceed with maths, did try Mathematics for science and technology and my brain nearly exploaded, so currently doing suceed with maths 2. I like doing the courses as it gets you into the habit of finding 16 hours a week studytime. And hopefully getting the old brain cells to start firing again!

Quick Reply

Latest