The Student Room Group
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London

Is the administration/law dept horrendous?

I have recently submitted an enquiry to the direct email address of the program I am intending to apply to but have received no responses, not even a message receipt the way most universities are supposed to send out.

Has any other current students or mature applicants experienced this? I am genuinely worried as I will be essentially embarking on a huge commitment ( a degree of 2-3 years duration), likely part time or over distance.

Said person whom I had emailed with questions and concerns abput the program which require urgent answers has been very active on twitter for the last 48 hours however, sharing and retweeting random political posts.

Do you not think that it is far more imperative to notice and address the queries of future students ans applicants. Surely this prioritises social media?

I am genuinely concerned as part time/distance students generally receive less contact time but need (and deserve) at least equal support.

It is a shame as Birkbeck has always seemed friendly from afar, with the image (or maybe just PR gimmick?) that it prioritises the needs of students or at least cares about student support and experience

Can anyone comment on this or speak to a similar experience?

I am not from the country so calling directly would incur unnecessary, somewhat prohibitive expenses. I wish they would realise this in the name of equal access and diversity
Reply 1
** when I said "email address" and "social media page", I don't mean that of the university or even of the department, but rather of the course director (i.e. alleged contact point)

It is unusual that not even an automated email was sent acknowledging receipt, as is and should be the protocol at university of london colleges, or even any respectable UK college at all.
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London
Reply 2
Hi, I’m an Italian student.
I’m currently holding three offers from these universities:
- Birkbeck, University of London in Msc Astrobiology.
-Brunel, Msc Environmental management.
- UCD in Dublin: Msc Environmental science.
I have read really bad things about Brunel in the last weeks, but also about Birkbeck.
I really like the course offered by Birkbeck because I want to do astrobiology also in a future PhD and I have read that they share the department of Earth and Planetary science with UCL.

I really need some feedback about all of them cause I want to make the best decisions.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I have recently submitted an enquiry to the direct email address of the program I am intending to apply to but have received no responses, not even a message receipt the way most universities are supposed to send out.

Has any other current students or mature applicants experienced this? I am genuinely worried as I will be essentially embarking on a huge commitment ( a degree of 2-3 years duration), likely part time or over distance.

Said person whom I had emailed with questions and concerns abput the program which require urgent answers has been very active on twitter for the last 48 hours however, sharing and retweeting random political posts.

Do you not think that it is far more imperative to notice and address the queries of future students ans applicants. Surely this prioritises social media?

I am genuinely concerned as part time/distance students generally receive less contact time but need (and deserve) at least equal support.

It is a shame as Birkbeck has always seemed friendly from afar, with the image (or maybe just PR gimmick?) that it prioritises the needs of students or at least cares about student support and experience

Can anyone comment on this or speak to a similar experience?

I am not from the country so calling directly would incur unnecessary, somewhat prohibitive expenses. I wish they would realise this in the name of equal access and diversity

Which department? If you emailed the admissions email ('direct email'?) or the main admin email for the department, you should get an autoreceipt. If you emailed a particular academic's email you won't, and they may not even be in charge of that course any more, or they could be on research leave, or annual leave, etc. Write to the main admin or admissions email for the relevant department/course..
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
** when I said "email address" and "social media page", I don't mean that of the university or even of the department, but rather of the course director (i.e. alleged contact point)

It is unusual that not even an automated email was sent acknowledging receipt, as is and should be the protocol at university of london colleges, or even any respectable UK college at all.

So, generally you won't get an acknolwedgement if you write to a particular academic's email. Write to the main admissions or the main law office email. Also, programme directors tend to deal with the internal running of the programme rather than with admissions inquiries, so even if their name is given as the 'contact point' you're better off writing to the admissions team.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending