The Student Room Group

Marking boycott for final year thesis

Hi all, I just received the highly disappointing news that my final year thesis has not been marked (bearing in mind, I only just got sent this email, and the results were due to be released today). They said I mightn't get my result until after graduation, and this may result in me losing my masters place. There are 2 markers for the thesis - I know one of them has marked it so it's only the other one that hasn't done it. To add to the annoyance, other students in my cohort will be receiving their results today. What can I say to the uni to get this resolved? Is there a way I can find out the mark the first supervisor gave for it? I think it's only fair I should be told:frown:
I don’t have any advice, just wanted to say that I’m in the exact same situation as you, with one module mark missing meaning that I likely won’t receive a degree classification before graduation. It’s a really stressful time, and, like you, I’m holding an offer for further study (medical school!) that’s contingent on a certain degree classification.

The only thing I can say is, almost all universities are in the same position, and I’d be shocked if they didn’t make some kind of provision that would allow for progression of current offer holders, especially masters applicants. They’d be losing a lot of money if they prevented such a large proportion of students from enrolling!

I don’t think you’ll receive a mark from the lecturer who is striking, so the next course of action may be to get in contact with the university you’re doing your masters with and ask them if they have a policy for these situations. They’ll likely say that they don’t currently, but will be in contact soon, but if lots of people email it might help to put the pressure on and show what a massive effect it’s having on students. I wish you the best of luck with everything :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CriticalMuppet
I don’t have any advice, just wanted to say that I’m in the exact same situation as you, with one module mark missing meaning that I likely won’t receive a degree classification before graduation. It’s a really stressful time, and, like you, I’m holding an offer for further study (medical school!) that’s contingent on a certain degree classification.

The only thing I can say is, almost all universities are in the same position, and I’d be shocked if they didn’t make some kind of provision that would allow for progression of current offer holders, especially masters applicants. They’d be losing a lot of money if they prevented such a large proportion of students from enrolling!

I don’t think you’ll receive a mark from the lecturer who is striking, so the next course of action may be to get in contact with the university you’re doing your masters with and ask them if they have a policy for these situations. They’ll likely say that they don’t currently, but will be in contact soon, but if lots of people email it might help to put the pressure on and show what a massive effect it’s having on students. I wish you the best of luck with everything :smile:

Thank you so much for this - I hope you get the answer you want from the unis soon too! Best of luck:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending