The Student Room Group

Going to college or University after Gap

Hey,

I recently was a university student and did 4 years of mechanical engineering degree and dropped out of my second year due to covid and did not getting the grades I needed to achieve to progress onto my final year of my course. e
Due to everything moving online and had no hands on experience becauseof covid. First year was okay since I had experience in workshop before lockdown kicked in and January 2020 my mental health got worde because of exams and thinking of failing my 1st year. As student finance won't fund me since I already had funding for repeating my foundation year, they only give 5 years of funding when doing a foundation year.
I managed to ace my 1st year and progressed to 2nd year and from there I did not enjoy my course that much as it was online and was not getting the grades I needed to pass.

From there I decided to drop out of uni and start looking for a job which I managed to get one. I want to getbback into education, but do something different e.g. biomedical science or forensic science since I enjoyed science in high school and got good grades from it.

I am not too sure if I should start back in college amd get experience in science as it been a while since I did science. I applied for college and university and been offered a place in college and also a university offered me a place on the biomedical science course including foundation (part time) which I could manage and fit my work and study around.

My question is will college be a right step for me to gain experience in biomedical science then go to university?
Reply 1
Original post by Lion1996
Hey,

I recently was a university student and did 4 years of mechanical engineering degree and dropped out of my second year due to covid and did not getting the grades I needed to achieve to progress onto my final year of my course. e
Due to everything moving online and had no hands on experience becauseof covid. First year was okay since I had experience in workshop before lockdown kicked in and January 2020 my mental health got worde because of exams and thinking of failing my 1st year. As student finance won't fund me since I already had funding for repeating my foundation year, they only give 5 years of funding when doing a foundation year.
I managed to ace my 1st year and progressed to 2nd year and from there I did not enjoy my course that much as it was online and was not getting the grades I needed to pass.

From there I decided to drop out of uni and start looking for a job which I managed to get one. I want to getbback into education, but do something different e.g. biomedical science or forensic science since I enjoyed science in high school and got good grades from it.

I am not too sure if I should start back in college amd get experience in science as it been a while since I did science. I applied for college and university and been offered a place in college and also a university offered me a place on the biomedical science course including foundation (part time) which I could manage and fit my work and study around.

My question is will college be a right step for me to gain experience in biomedical science then go to university?

Foundation years usually bring people that haven’t done science in a while or people that maybe didn’t do so well initially in science up to speed. So the university should be okay to do, ultimately it is your choice but foundation years are to help people that want to do science subjects but may need a refresh so that they are at the same level as everyone on the course and to ensure you the best chances of doing well
Reply 2
Original post by 哪壶不开提哪壶
You did four years or dropped out in your second year , which one is it ?

Dropped out of second year. I did 2 years of foundation.
Reply 3
Original post by 哪壶不开提哪壶
But foundation year is a year hence the name

I failed my 1st year of foundation because the university given my support late for my dyslexia and have to redo some modules.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending