The Student Room Group

Predicted Grades

I'm in a bit of a fix. I joined my sixth form mid-year (Year One), and when I joined, I was forced to take a 4th A-Level (I'd only done 3 at my previous Sixth Form), which meant I was massively behind, having never done Further Maths. To make things worse, my other 3 A-Levels were all being taught on different boards at this new sixth form, so there was almost no overlap between what I'd learnt in my first six months, and what I had now missed.

So, to sum up, I'd essentially started 4 A-Level's from scratch in the middle of the year, at a very competitive sixth form. Also, my secondary school was an oddball in the sense I wasn't forced to do GCSE Physics (so imagine joining sixth form mid-year only then to hear for the first time gravity = 9.8N), which made Mechanics in Maths and Further Maths a complete first for me. Because of this, I'd been missing homework deadlines and 'Response Tasks', because I'd been so preoccupied with going over everything I missed (I did my Mock Further Maths A-Level only finding out what a complex number was a week before. The sixth form offered no support).

Now, I'm about to be faced with my predicted grades, and obviously they're not going to be to the same standard as everyone else (how could they be?). But despite this, my school have told me they're refusing to take any of the previously mentioned context into account, because I've been missing homeworks, and getting in late (I have to travel an hour to get there, and the train lines are unpredictable).

I'm very worried that my predicted grades won't reflect my ability, and I think it's crazy the sixth form are refusing to acknowledge my circumstances when it comes to predicting my grades.

Is there anything I can do about this? Am I in the wrong here? Any advice is appreciated.
Original post by am66n_xm
I'm in a bit of a fix. I joined my sixth form mid-year (Year One), and when I joined, I was forced to take a 4th A-Level (I'd only done 3 at my previous Sixth Form), which meant I was massively behind, having never done Further Maths. To make things worse, my other 3 A-Levels were all being taught on different boards at this new sixth form, so there was almost no overlap between what I'd learnt in my first six months, and what I had now missed.

So, to sum up, I'd essentially started 4 A-Level's from scratch in the middle of the year, at a very competitive sixth form. Also, my secondary school was an oddball in the sense I wasn't forced to do GCSE Physics (so imagine joining sixth form mid-year only then to hear for the first time gravity = 9.8N), which made Mechanics in Maths and Further Maths a complete first for me. Because of this, I'd been missing homework deadlines and 'Response Tasks', because I'd been so preoccupied with going over everything I missed (I did my Mock Further Maths A-Level only finding out what a complex number was a week before. The sixth form offered no support).

Now, I'm about to be faced with my predicted grades, and obviously they're not going to be to the same standard as everyone else (how could they be?). But despite this, my school have told me they're refusing to take any of the previously mentioned context into account, because I've been missing homeworks, and getting in late (I have to travel an hour to get there, and the train lines are unpredictable).

I'm very worried that my predicted grades won't reflect my ability, and I think it's crazy the sixth form are refusing to acknowledge my circumstances when it comes to predicting my grades.

Is there anything I can do about this? Am I in the wrong here? Any advice is appreciated.

I dont know how you feel about it and whether its an option but it might be best to just repeat the year and start over if so much has interfered with your work this year
Reply 2

Boards in MAths make little difference - why did you move school? Why choose one so far away from home?

I'd repeat the year or move school and start again.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Boards in MAths make little difference - why did you move school? Why choose one so far away from home?

I'd repeat the year or move school and start again.

I moved school because the old school was a private school, not worth the money, and also had gotten to a point where it was no longer safe for me to stay there. I moved because the school essentially left me no choice, and I had to move a sixth form so far away because it was the only sixth form accepting students so late in the year. I also chose it because it performed extremely well, but essentially it was my only choice. I’d repeat the year but I’m worried about how that will look to employers and university.
Reply 4
Original post by Teribblestudent
I dont know how you feel about it and whether its an option but it might be best to just repeat the year and start over if so much has interfered with your work this year

Would that look bad for me though. Like on University Applications, Socially and like in job applications?
Would that look bad for me though. Like on University Applications, Socially and like in job applications?

I don’t really know but it’s that or potentially get worse grades than you would’ve done because of all the disruption in year 12 and before
Reply 6
I moved school because the old school was a private school, not worth the money, and also had gotten to a point where it was no longer safe for me to stay there. I moved because the school essentially left me no choice, and I had to move a sixth form so far away because it was the only sixth form accepting students so late in the year. I also chose it because it performed extremely well, but essentially it was my only choice. I’d repeat the year but I’m worried about how that will look to employers and university.

It's a better option than low grades ... your referee can explain this when you come to apply. It might have been better to move after GCSEs if the previous school was bad and a waste of money.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
It's a better option than low grades ... your referee can explain this when you come to apply. It might have been better to move after GCSEs if the previous school was bad and a waste of money.

Yeah, I should’ve, but I thought things might change after Year 11. I appreciate the advice though- and I think redoing might be good.
Reply 8
Original post by Teribblestudent
I don’t really know but it’s that or potentially get worse grades than you would’ve done because of all the disruption in year 12 and before

True man. Thank you, I appreciate the advice. I just wish there was something I could do to help me this year. But seriously, thanks.
Reply 9
Yeah, I should’ve, but I thought things might change after Year 11. I appreciate the advice though- and I think redoing might be good.

Are you doing Edexcel Maths?

this sounds like hwsf.

firstly, if i guessed correctly, predicted grades actually do not matter. these ones are not your final predicted grades, and the ones in early year 13 matter more. the slt will bang on about how these ones are so important, and they are - but there’s a chance to fix your grades. so knuckle down during the summer and revise and catch up to work.

secondly, do your response tasks. this is the thing that is actually setting you back. if you need to catch up on work and knowledge, then SHOW THIS in your response. your responses help determine your predicted grades so you are only hurting yourself by not doing them. if you must, cut corners - reuse your exam revision as evidence for work you’ve done in your responses.

get into school early. leave your house early and you will not be late. you will also have time to revise in the library that way. stay after school late to do work. take advantage of free periods. take advantage of lab- see teachers about work and questions you have. they are there to help you.
Reply 11
Original post by metamorphosis4
this sounds like hwsf.

firstly, if i guessed correctly, predicted grades actually do not matter. these ones are not your final predicted grades, and the ones in early year 13 matter more. the slt will bang on about how these ones are so important, and they are - but there’s a chance to fix your grades. so knuckle down during the summer and revise and catch up to work.

secondly, do your response tasks. this is the thing that is actually setting you back. if you need to catch up on work and knowledge, then SHOW THIS in your response. your responses help determine your predicted grades so you are only hurting yourself by not doing them. if you must, cut corners - reuse your exam revision as evidence for work you’ve done in your responses.

get into school early. leave your house early and you will not be late. you will also have time to revise in the library that way. stay after school late to do work. take advantage of free periods. take advantage of lab- see teachers about work and questions you have. they are there to help you.

Are you Batman? Crazy you knew. Tbh, no one really told me about responses or what they meant, I kinda just joined and they said yeah do this after your exams or you get trouble. If I’d known, I would have grinded on them, but I thought they were irrelevant. It’s a lil annoying because the SLT assured me that they’d help accommodate me, and tbf lab wasn’t really working because every teacher is busy with someone, so I just used it to catch up. I tried getting in early and staying up late, but it became unmanaged because of sleep. Also, about the predicted, aren’t the year 12 ones the one they send off to Uni? Icl communication hasn’t been great, so I have no idea how anything works, because I’ll ask a teacher smthn and they’ll be like ask someone else.

Like I said, all things aside, I still think the school shouldn’t have expected me to be able to catch up. I know people in the year who are working harder than me and barely getting through their A Levels. I’m doing as much as I can, and I’m still doing better than some people. But I needed some consideration if ygm.
Reply 12
Original post by am_rzq
Are you Batman? Crazy you knew. Tbh, no one really told me about responses or what they meant, I kinda just joined and they said yeah do this after your exams or you get trouble. If I’d known, I would have grinded on them, but I thought they were irrelevant. It’s a lil annoying because the SLT assured me that they’d help accommodate me, and tbf lab wasn’t really working because every teacher is busy with someone, so I just used it to catch up. I tried getting in early and staying up late, but it became unmanaged because of sleep. Also, about the predicted, aren’t the year 12 ones the one they send off to Uni? Icl communication hasn’t been great, so I have no idea how anything works, because I’ll ask a teacher smthn and they’ll be like ask someone else.

Like I said, all things aside, I still think the school shouldn’t have expected me to be able to catch up. I know people in the year who are working harder than me and barely getting through their A Levels. I’m doing as much as I can, and I’m still doing better than some people. But I needed some consideration if ygm.

I am gonna grind over summer tho.

Quick Reply

Latest