The Student Room Group

what happens during a PGCE?

I want to do a PGCE but I need to know where can I get the funding, where to apply it [ucas or through the university website], what happens when studying a PGCE, what can I expect working at a school and what can I do with a PGSE internationally? I want to work in Dubai because the pros weigh out the cons
If you will be studying in England, all the information can be found on this website - https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

You can get a tuition loan and maintenance loan, similar to an undergrad degree, as well as a bursary or scholarship depending on the subject. You would apply to the government's own teaching training application system, which is similar to UCAS. The PGCE is accepted in many countries internationally, don't know about Dubai though.
Reply 2
Original post by Rxmaj01
I want to do a PGCE but I need to know where can I get the funding, where to apply it [ucas or through the university website], what happens when studying a PGCE, what can I expect working at a school and what can I do with a PGSE internationally? I want to work in Dubai because the pros weigh out the cons

The majority of a PGCE is in school. You will have 2 - 4 weeks in university at the start and then you will do either two or three placements in contrasting schools where you will effectively be planning, teaching and assessing your own classes. You will be supervised the whole time by one or more mentors, starting by doing a few starter activities, then a couple of classes a week. By the time you finish you will be teaching around 60% timetable which is about 12-14 hours a week. Then when you get your ECT first year, you go to an 80% timetable.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending