The Student Room Group

deleted

……
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by spliced
So I’m torn between applying for psych or neuroscience. I do love psych, but the elements of neuro are what excite me.

The issue is I don’t take bio/chem a level, as I realised this interest for neuro too late. I’ve been looking at courses and I obviously can’t apply to a lot of them, but I can apply for Bristol and exeter, as they only require 2 sciences. Do I stand any chance of getting into these? I know bristol mainly assesses on grades, but would they also question the subject choices? And even if I were to get an offer, how difficult would it be for me to build up my knowledge in bio/chem before I start?

Alternatively, could I get a degree in psych, and then go onto do a neuroscience Msc (having chosen more biological modules)? This way I can actually see if neuroscience is something i’d genuinely enjoy studying.

I will also most likely apply for the KCL neuro and psych course which is pretty perfect in terms of what I’m looking for, but at the same time I love the look of UCL’s straight psych course.

What subjects do you take and what are your predictions?
Original post by spliced
A*A*A* in maths, psych, geo.

Most include either Chem, Biol or both so you will probably be rejected. Your options appear to be either a gap year sitting one of those or to look at a foundation year somewhere. Otherwise it is Psychology
Original post by spliced
So I’m torn between applying for psych or neuroscience. I do love psych, but the elements of neuro are what excite me.

The issue is I don’t take bio/chem a level, as I realised this interest for neuro too late. I’ve been looking at courses and I obviously can’t apply to a lot of them, but I can apply for Bristol and exeter, as they only require 2 sciences. Do I stand any chance of getting into these? I know bristol mainly assesses on grades, but would they also question the subject choices? And even if I were to get an offer, how difficult would it be for me to build up my knowledge in bio/chem before I start?

Alternatively, could I get a degree in psych, and then go onto do a neuroscience Msc (having chosen more biological modules)? This way I can actually see if neuroscience is something i’d genuinely enjoy studying.

I will also most likely apply for the KCL neuro and psych course which is pretty perfect in terms of what I’m looking for, but at the same time I love the look of UCL’s straight psych course.

If that's what Bristol and Exeter say what they're happy with then you stand a good chance. If in doubt ask them for clarification.
Reply 4
Might a foundation year be an option? Are there any suitable courses at Scottish universities? They may have a more gentle introduction given the additional year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending