The Student Room Group

Does the university you do your undergrad at matter?

Just wondering whether top universities (specifically the London ones like Imperial) take into consideration where you did your undergrad when you’re applying for your postgrad… would performing very well in your undergrad at an average university be enough to stand a chance at going to a top university for your postgrad?
Reply 1
Yes it would.
Reply 2
Yes it would matter…? Or yes it would be enough to perform well in your undergrad at an average uni?
Reply 3
Original post by uvwv
Yes it would matter…? Or yes it would be enough to perform well in your undergrad at an average uni?

It would be enough to perform well in the vast, vast majority of cases.
It’s taken into account but a strong performance at undergrad would mitigate an ‘average’ uni.
Original post by uvwv
Just wondering whether top universities (specifically the London ones like Imperial) take into consideration where you did your undergrad when you’re applying for your postgrad… would performing very well in your undergrad at an average university be enough to stand a chance at going to a top university for your postgrad?

Where you did your undergrad can be a factor, particularly if that institution has produced previous postgrad candidates that didn't live up to expectations based on their degree grades, I have seen that a few times but its relatively rare for an institution to make a "do not recruit" list.

They key factor will be how well you personally do on your undergrad, places like Imperial definitly recruit widely at the PG level and placing near the top of your current cohort (wherever you are) always attracts the right kind of attention from an admissions team.
Original post by uvwv

In my experience, it doesn't really matter. I did my BA at what was then the worst university in the country according to league tables. I got a first, went on to a master's at a University of London institution, and was later awarded PhD funding that had about a 5% success rate. So I think it's more down to you, really.
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Where you did your undergrad can be a factor, particularly if that institution has produced previous postgrad candidates that didn't live up to expectations based on their degree grades, I have seen that a few times but its relatively rare for an institution to make a "do not recruit" list.

I've only seen lists of international institutions to be avoided. But UK-wise, yes, it will either make little or no difference depending on the recruitment policy of the department.
Original post by Admit-One
I've only seen lists of international institutions to be avoided. But UK-wise, yes, it will either make little or no difference depending on the recruitment policy of the department.

Yes, sorry, I should have clarified that I can only speak to experience with UK institutions :smile: I think sometimes there is this idea that the same classifications aren't equal across institutions - at a PG open day for a Russell Group university, I was told that my first was worth a Russell Group 2:1/2:2 :s-smilie: I suspect some people have an agenda for suggesting that's the case, but for me it definitely wasn't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending