The Student Room Group

charged for mattress issue never even noticed

apparently there's a massive stain underneath the mattress that comes with the room that ruined both it and the wooden bed under that and I'm being charged for both but never once lifted that mattress up so i'm certain I can't have caused that. Is there anything i can do about this??? (its an on campus room belonging to the uni i believe)
Original post by Tealiest
apparently there's a massive stain underneath the mattress that comes with the room that ruined both it and the wooden bed under that and I'm being charged for both but never once lifted that mattress up so i'm certain I can't have caused that. Is there anything i can do about this??? (its an on campus room belonging to the uni i believe)

I believe that's a long standing landlord trick to keep some of the deposit!
Reply 2

Regardless of being a student, when you take possession of a good it is your job as a consumer to register complaint and assert that said good is not in fit condition.

By not checking you've weakened the argument that it is the landlord and not you who should be held liable because it becomes he said, she said and your contract likely includes things that tip those situations in their favour.

It's a lesson learnt for you but you should pay the money.
Original post by ageshallnot
I believe that's a long standing landlord trick to keep some of the deposit!

Is also a long running grotty student trick not to clean their bed :P
Original post by StriderHort
Is also a long running grotty student trick not to clean their bed :P

Or turn the mattress over to hide various studenty stains! 😳
Original post by ageshallnot
Or turn the mattress over to hide various studenty stains! 😳

At least they're putting some effort into checking it every year or so :argh:
Reply 6

Presumably you checked the state of everything when you moved in?
Reply 7
It would be understandable not to check under the mattress and miss that.

If it was my deposit I would be arguing and saying it was not my fault and that it was not reasonable to expect to lift the ******* mattress up. It can be debated whether it was reasonable or not to lift the mattress but that is what I would argue. It may get nowhere but I am obstreperous and argumentative in such situations so would still do it.
https://www.nrla.org.uk/news/TDS-damaged-mattress
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending