The Student Room Group

Council Tax

Hi guys! Im a bit confused to how council tax is working.

So the situation is, I’ve been let off for a gap year but before I could, I was still going to uni after everyone else had finished in July. I submitted everything in November and then graduated in December 2022. They are charging me council tax during the time i was still at uni, even though I have sent them the December graduation exemption.

My sister also was about to go into uni and live away from home, but they’ve also charged her for the summer holidays she spent at home before going off to uni. (So the July Summer holidays from A Levels into Uni) I dont think I've heard this happened before so I wanted to know what everyone else thought? I’m not really sure what to do. :frown:

Lemme know if this doesnt make any sense as I’m still trying to get my head around this 😭😭
Original post by Dxisukii
Hi guys! Im a bit confused to how council tax is working.

So the situation is, I’ve been let off for a gap year but before I could, I was still going to uni after everyone else had finished in July. I submitted everything in November and then graduated in December 2022. They are charging me council tax during the time i was still at uni, even though I have sent them the December graduation exemption.

My sister also was about to go into uni and live away from home, but they’ve also charged her for the summer holidays she spent at home before going off to uni. (So the July Summer holidays from A Levels into Uni) I dont think I've heard this happened before so I wanted to know what everyone else thought? I’m not really sure what to do. :frown:

Lemme know if this doesnt make any sense as I’m still trying to get my head around this 😭😭

This happens sometimes they make a mistake, my brother who started a job at wilko and was also living with us at home got charged for council tax when he shouldn’t of , he had to ring the DWP to tell them there was a issue going on there . Once he told them and explained to them what happened , they stopped charging him immediately releasing they made a mistake . Why not try and ring your local council you and your sister explaining there is a problem ? And show them proof if they ask that your living at home and not uni - proof such as bank statements with your current address on it etc . Hope this helps
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kiyomiwong95x
This happens sometimes they make a mistake, my brother who started a job at wilko and was also living with us at home got charged for council tax when he shouldn’t of , he had to ring the DWP to tell them there was a issue going on there . Once he told them and explained to them what happened , they stopped charging him immediately releasing they made a mistake . Why not try and ring your local council you and your sister explaining there is a problem ? And show them proof if they ask that your living at home and not uni - proof such as bank statements with your current address on it etc . Hope this helps

Hey,

Thanks for replying!

I’ll have a call to clarify the situation, but this is the email they sent when I had already sent all the paperwork via email to them before writing on the forum.

We have looked at your parents' claim and I can confirm that the non dependant deduction is correct. Your course ended 01.07.22 and we started to apply deduction from when your course ended.

Your sister turn 18 years on 25.07.22 and she started her course on 19.09.22. We applied deduction from 26.07.22 to 19.09.22.

My Council Tax Exemption letter clearly states I graduated in December and not July, and I’m not too sure about them collecting council tax when A Level Students graduate for the summer and get taxed for the period they arent at uni.. because that obviously didnt happen to me when I was waiting until Late October for my course to even start 😭😭 (due to covid)
Reply 3
Original post by Dxisukii
Hey,

Thanks for replying!

I’ll have a call to clarify the situation, but this is the email they sent when I had already sent all the paperwork via email to them before writing on the forum.

We have looked at your parents' claim and I can confirm that the non dependant deduction is correct. Your course ended 01.07.22 and we started to apply deduction from when your course ended.

Your sister turn 18 years on 25.07.22 and she started her course on 19.09.22. We applied deduction from 26.07.22 to 19.09.22.

My Council Tax Exemption letter clearly states I graduated in December and not July, and I’m not too sure about them collecting council tax when A Level Students graduate for the summer and get taxed for the period they arent at uni.. because that obviously didnt happen to me when I was waiting until Late October for my course to even start 😭😭 (due to covid)

You are classed as a student for the duration of your course; so between leaving college and starting at university, you're not a student. And likewise, once your university course has finished you stop being a student -- note that the graduation ceremony normally takes place after the end of the course.

If the council are saying that they think your course ended on 1st July and not the December date, then you need to ask them explicitly why they are overlooking/ignoring the information on the letter provided by your university. (Check that that letter refers to your course attendance dates, and not to your graduation date -- otherwise they might be assuming your course did end on 1st July and that your graduation ceremony was in December.)

Quick Reply

Latest