The Student Room Group

Do I have to pay council tax on a gap year?

So I started my course in September 2021, I then fell pregnant a few months later which meant that after I had my baby boy in August 2022, I had to take some time out of my course. I’ve had to take one more year off due to not being able to receive childcare until my son turns 2 next year, but will be returning to finish the last two years of my degree in September 2024.
When I finished my first year and started my gap year, I looked in to what I had to do regarding council tax. This is where I read on the citizens advice website that If you suspend your course but remain registered because you intend to go back, you should still be regarded as a student for the purposes of council tax.’ -which you can find within this is on this page - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/council-tax/student-housing-council-tax/

Because of this, I didn’t think I needed to change my student exemption with council tax, however it has now came to light to the council that I have had a gap year and they have told me that I should not of had the exemption for the duration of my gap year and are now charging me what they say I owe.
Following this, I spoke to citizens advice who further said that I should not of been liable for that duration, I also have spoke to my University who backed this up and sent me a student council tax exemption certificate with the correct dates on, I have sent this to council tax however they are still standing their ground in regards to the fact that I should not be regarded as a student during a gap year.

I was just wondering if anyone had anymore information about this situation, who is correct and if I can do anything moving forward?

Thank you in advance, any advice would be hugely appreciated!
Reply 1
Follow the Council Tax appeal and complaint processes to understand the logic and also get advice from your Student’s Union, they will be able to give legal support if required. There may also be other exceptions or benefits which you are eligible for that you can get advice about
Reply 2
Original post by Zarek
Follow the Council Tax appeal and complaint processes to understand the logic and also get advice from your Student’s Union, they will be able to give legal support if required. There may also be other exceptions or benefits which you are eligible for that you can get advice about

Thank you, will look into it today!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending