The Student Room Group

Feeling lonely

I’m homeschooled and the only friends I have are the ones from my old school that I left over a year ago. We aren’t close anymore and I see them maybe every few months.

I have pretty bad social anxiety and no hobbies so clubs wouldn’t be the best for me. I just feel like I’m wasting my teenage years being alone and having basically no social life.
Does anyone have any similar experiences? Any response would be appreciated
I feel you. In the short term, one of the quickest ways is to take look at your interests. Maybe it's a certain type of Music or Sport or Activity. Whatever it is, join online communities about the topic like servers on discord or subreddits, because Competence breeds Confidence. This'll help your social anxiety for two reasons. Firstly, because you're knowledgable on a topic it'll be easier to talk about it and secondly because you won't have to show your face.
If you are serious on trying to fix your social anxiety permanently than you got to commit to doing some deep internal work on it. Using meditation will help you be more focused in the moment. Then everyday write down one thing you want to do every day to help build up your confidence with slight increases in difficulty and try to implement it. Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I feel you. In the short term, one of the quickest ways is to take look at your interests. Maybe it's a certain type of Music or Sport or Activity. Whatever it is, join online communities about the topic like servers on discord or subreddits, because Competence breeds Confidence. This'll help your social anxiety for two reasons. Firstly, because you're knowledgable on a topic it'll be easier to talk about it and secondly because you won't have to show your face.
If you are serious on trying to fix your social anxiety permanently than you got to commit to doing some deep internal work on it. Using meditation will help you be more focused in the moment. Then everyday write down one thing you want to do every day to help build up your confidence with slight increases in difficulty and try to implement it. Hope this helps

Thank you! This helps a lot
The only effective way I’ve found to deal with social anxiety is cbt, one of the main things is gradually exposing yourself to the thing that’s making you anxious. CBT takes a lot from stoicism so maybe read Marcus Aurelius’s meditations to help clear your kind a bit
The only effective way I’ve found to deal with social anxiety is cbt, one of the main things is gradually exposing yourself to the thing that’s making you anxious. CBT takes a lot from stoicism so maybe read Marcus Aurelius’s meditations to help clear your kind a bit

Mind*
Reply 5

Thank you for responding, I’ll look into this
Reply 6
I’m homeschooled and the only friends I have are the ones from my old school that I left over a year ago. We aren’t close anymore and I see them maybe every few months.

I have pretty bad social anxiety and no hobbies so clubs wouldn’t be the best for me. I just feel like I’m wasting my teenage years being alone and having basically no social life.
Does anyone have any similar experiences? Any response would be appreciated

Do you have any interests?
Sure you do.
If you want, I'm here to talk. We can come out with something you can do to make things better.

I was in your position, sort of, but the only difference is that I had a lot of activities and hobbies and outside of the school, especially in sports, I was blooming. In basketball it was like all my anxiety disappears. I was the most team player and even was social with the girls, like going to parties and celebrating birthdays and stuff, I was shy and quiet, but I was there and I wanted to be there.

I know everyone is different but I'm sure you can find something to do with others that will make you feel ok and later even more confident with yourself and with others...
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending