The Student Room Group

Gcses 2024

Hey guys, sit my mocks after Christmas - exams in summer.

Had a few poor results in summer Y10 mocks, had a great first term of Year 11 - getting back on track.
However, extremely nervous about mocks and hope they go well!
Planning to make all revision notes before I go back to school (mocks first day back) & then after mocks refine what I didn’t get right, then finish off notes on the content not in mocks - then doing Qs and Past Papers.
I find familiarising myself with content, writing notes, condensing them, doing past paper questions, watching videos, and writing key terms on flash cards help!
Struggle with questions on flash cards but do pretty much everything else.
And Key Word lists - from everything from biology to key name lists in history or quotes in RE - work well.
Still very much working out what works best!
Original post by Joshua pilling

Had a few poor results in summer Y10 mocks, had a great first term of Year 11 - getting back on track.
Planning to make all revision notes before I go back to school (mocks first day back) & then after mocks refine what I didn’t get right, then finish off notes on the content not in mocks - then doing Qs and Past Papers.
I find familiarising myself with content, writing notes, condensing them, doing past paper questions, watching videos, and writing key terms on flash cards help!
And Key Word lists - from everything from biology to key name lists in history or quotes in RE - work well.

Hi,

That’s great to hear as I am also sitting my GCSE’s in January (and I haven’t met anyone whose doing mocks in January until now), I would call myself as a good reviser so I would definitely recommend sort of speaking aloud when your going through your notes (this technique helped me get almost all 9’s in my Y10 mocks - excluding Spanish which was an 8) and I found that writing notes was such a waste of time for me personally because it takes me ages to write them and there’s just so many revision resources online to get notes from - and condensing was much harder than I thought it would be! If writing notes works for you it is definitely an amazing revision technique as rewriting key phrases/keywords/formulas on paper will really ingrain them into your memory.

I am definitely no expert as I am in Y11 too, but I just can’t express how good speaking aloud is when revising and also doing lots of exam questions - they’ve helped me a lot!
(edited 4 months ago)
Hello!
Same here, apart from people at my school I don’t know any who are doing them in January!
Thank you very much for the advice, I really appreciate it. I will definitely practise speaking things out loud; I sometimes record myself and listen back when on the bus or walking to try and ingrain what I was doing. I was never a fan of the notes however - this is just my own belief and what works for me - but noticed I didn’t know some key aspects of subjects, so the notes help as a ‘base’, as such, then I go from there!

Also, wow! Well done on some great grades!
@emm4nuella hey - this is the ‘forum’ (is that the right word?!) I set up! Feel free to pass on to anyone who’d be interested!😄😄
good luck with your revision, can't wait to see your progress!
Original post by erin11
good luck with your revision, can't wait to see your progress!

thank you so much! you too!
Original post by Joshua pilling

you've got some great revision techniques!! if you need any help with languages, or other non-stem subjects, im happy to help :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by erin11
you've got some great revision techniques!! if you need any help with languages, or other non-stem subjects, im happy to help :smile:

Hey, I'm kinda struggling with German right now. I literally can't learn my oral questions even though I have all of them written. Also History- I just don't understand the technique.
Original post by scarygirl2
Hey, I'm kinda struggling with German right now. I literally can't learn my oral questions even though I have all of them written. Also History- I just don't understand the technique.
I did French and this is what I did:
re-read each answer, cover it and then write down as much as I could remember.
once I was reasonably happy with my answers, I rewrote my flashcards to only have the first letter of each sentence and then practiced them over and over. I also made sure that I was super confident with general vocab for whichever theme your oral questions are from. I know it feels frustrating and slow but oral exams sometimes need a little bit of extra patience, you are doing better than you think and will get there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending