The Student Room Group

Difficulties in deciding my A-levels and my future career

I am not sure what to pursue for my future career, mental health nursing or psychology?
I will be resuming college (year 1) by September, And am yet to decide what to pick for my A-level course. I am stuck between Health and social care or psychology, sociology and medical science. I just enjoy anything that as to do with the human mind, counseling, support in regards to anxiety disorder, depression and a lot more.
Original post by Moyinoluwairis
I am not sure what to pursue for my future career, mental health nursing or psychology?
I will be resuming college (year 1) by September, And am yet to decide what to pick for my A-level course. I am stuck between Health and social care or psychology, sociology and medical science. I just enjoy anything that as to do with the human mind, counseling, support in regards to anxiety disorder, depression and a lot more.

If it's specifically mental health nursing or psychology/counselling, then the common requirements are that you should have A Levels in any 3 subjects.

The pickier psychology degree might ask for either biology or psychology as a required subject, but that's about it.
Psychology, sociology, and medical science are fine by themselves, although it's very niched.

Just to note: if you want to go on a nursing course, make sure the degree is approved by the Midwifering and Nursing Council, otherwise the degree is of no use for becoming a nurse. If it's psychology, it should be a degree accredited by the BPS, otherwise you can't use it in clinical practice.
Original post by MindMax2000
If it's specifically mental health nursing or psychology/counselling, then the common requirements are that you should have A Levels in any 3 subjects.

The pickier psychology degree might ask for either biology or psychology as a required subject, but that's about it.
Psychology, sociology, and medical science are fine by themselves, although it's very niched.

Just to note: if you want to go on a nursing course, make sure the degree is approved by the Midwifering and Nursing Council, otherwise the degree is of no use for becoming a nurse. If it's psychology, it should be a degree accredited by the BPS, otherwise you can't use it in clinical practice.

Noted with thanks, I will put all this into consideration when picking my A levels and career. Thank you.
Original post by Moyinoluwairis

@Moyinoluwairis
Hello! I've taught on an Access to HE Nursing and Midwifery pathway for the best part of 10 years, if you were slightly older I would recommend doing an Access course, but it looks like you have the self awareness and ability to weigh up your options well, and that you will succeed in whatever you choose :smile:

What I would say is that ALOT of people do Psychology degree's unaware you have to go on to do doctorate level study at Uni to become a fully qualified Psychologist and places are very limited at the top. The employment market is saturated with Psychology degree's. I did my MSc in Psychology to allow me access to funding to support my learners - the reasons people study certain courses isn't always clear.

I know a lot of people who work in mental health nursing, they say it is difficult, but, they really love it. I know a bit more about the fast track routes later down the line. What I would say is that general nursing does have a lot more of a focus on mental health these days as encouraged by the nursing and midwifery council - have you considered 'general nursing' at all?

Marc
Arden University Student ambassador
Original post by Arden University
@Moyinoluwairis
Hello! I've taught on an Access to HE Nursing and Midwifery pathway for the best part of 10 years, if you were slightly older I would recommend doing an Access course, but it looks like you have the self awareness and ability to weigh up your options well, and that you will succeed in whatever you choose :smile:

What I would say is that ALOT of people do Psychology degree's unaware you have to go on to do doctorate level study at Uni to become a fully qualified Psychologist and places are very limited at the top. The employment market is saturated with Psychology degree's. I did my MSc in Psychology to allow me access to funding to support my learners - the reasons people study certain courses isn't always clear.

I know a lot of people who work in mental health nursing, they say it is difficult, but, they really love it. I know a bit more about the fast track routes later down the line. What I would say is that general nursing does have a lot more of a focus on mental health these days as encouraged by the nursing and midwifery council - have you considered 'general nursing' at all?

Marc
Arden University Student ambassador

Thank you so much, I was really unaware of all this.
To be honest I have never considered 'general nursing' before, But I would look into it now and see if I have interest in it and work towards it.
Much obliged

Quick Reply

Latest