The Student Room Group

Santander overdraft cifas

Hello. So basically I got transferred from a Santander student account to a graduate account and got a letter saying my overdraft would increase to £2000 but it didn’t. I’m now worried that I have a cifas marker against my name. I genuinely haven’t done any fraud or anything but my friend once sent me money on PayPal and then I decided I didn’t need it so sent it straight back which I’m worried looked suspicious. I contacted cifas for my data but they haven’t replied yet. I was wondering would I get a cifas marker for something that looks suspicious but isn’t ? I have severe anxiety and am bipolar and cannot function atm because I’m so stressed. I get very paranoid and overthink things. Thanks
Nothing here indicates a Cifas marker. In the vast majority of cases the bank would query strange transactions with you before before taking action
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hello. So basically I got transferred from a Santander student account to a graduate account and got a letter saying my overdraft would increase to £2000 but it didn’t. I’m now worried that I have a cifas marker against my name. I genuinely haven’t done any fraud or anything but my friend once sent me money on PayPal and then I decided I didn’t need it so sent it straight back which I’m worried looked suspicious. I contacted cifas for my data but they haven’t replied yet. I was wondering would I get a cifas marker for something that looks suspicious but isn’t ? I have severe anxiety and am bipolar and cannot function atm because I’m so stressed. I get very paranoid and overthink things. Thanks

I can't imagine a scenario where a bank would register a Cifas marker against you and not close your account down at the same time.

If you look at https://www.cifas.org.uk/fraud-prevention-community/member-benefits/data/nfd/nfd-principles, under Principle 4 it says:

In order to file the member must have rejected, withdrawn or terminated a Product on the basis of Fraud unless the member has an obligation to provide the Product or the Subject has already received the full benefit of the Product.

... so to file a Cifas marker, they would have had to have closed the account.

Your best bet is to contact Santander, tell them you've received a letter saying your overdraft would increase to £2000 (if you phone, have the letter with you in case they need details from it) and that your limit hasn't yet changed. Ask them to tell you when it will change.
Original post by martin7
I can't imagine a scenario where a bank would register a Cifas marker against you and not close your account down at the same time.

If you look at https://www.cifas.org.uk/fraud-prevention-community/member-benefits/data/nfd/nfd-principles, under Principle 4 it says:

In order to file the member must have rejected, withdrawn or terminated a Product on the basis of Fraud unless the member has an obligation to provide the Product or the Subject has already received the full benefit of the Product.

... so to file a Cifas marker, they would have had to have closed the account.

Your best bet is to contact Santander, tell them you've received a letter saying your overdraft would increase to £2000 (if you phone, have the letter with you in case they need details from it) and that your limit hasn't yet changed. Ask them to tell you when it will change.

Hello. Thank you for your response I really appreciate it. I will do that now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending