The Student Room Group

Double Major / Studying more than 1 course

Hello,

This is my first post. I am a student in the US and am interested in Oxford and Cambridge.

In the US, it is possible to "double major," that is, to complete the course requirements for 2 major areas of study. From what I understand about Oxford and Cambridge, it doesn't seem that this is possible. I see that Oxford has some "joint courses," but these are pre-specified by the university. It doesn't seem possible for a student to choose any 2 areas of study to combine or study simultaneously. Is this correct?

Thank you!
Yes that’s correct
Reply 2
Original post by tencents
Hello,

This is my first post. I am a student in the US and am interested in Oxford and Cambridge.

In the US, it is possible to "double major," that is, to complete the course requirements for 2 major areas of study. From what I understand about Oxford and Cambridge, it doesn't seem that this is possible. I see that Oxford has some "joint courses," but these are pre-specified by the university. It doesn't seem possible for a student to choose any 2 areas of study to combine or study simultaneously. Is this correct?

Thank you!

For UK universities, you apply for a subject degree, and once you’re enrolled the university will specify fixed modules you’ll need to do to get the subject degree qualifications, with limited optional modules. This rigidity is much different from US universities, where you have a lot more freedom in the modules you can take for credit. (BTW, you can’t simultaneously apply for undergraduate courses at Oxford and Cambridge in one application cycle)

Although if you’re really interested, you can always sneak into other lectures :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending