The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year and resitting A-levels? (for law)

I got BBC in my A levels which is lower than my predicted. I was rejected by my firm and insurance choice but managed to get an offer from Sussex through clearing. I was very disappointed with my grades and I'm considering re-taking since A level grades are a big factor in law firm applications and Sussex is a non-russell group uni. Do I take a gap year (earn money and experience) and resit to get better grades? Or will this just make things even worse?
Reply 1
Sussex is a good Uni for Law and you will still have a thousand chances of a great career in Law.

'Magic Circle' careers are not automatic for anyone who goes to an RG Uni and even if you retook your A levels you have no guarantee of any of this happening.

Its time to stop being resentful that you didnt get the required grades and accept that you are going to Uni and to approach this with with a good heart and a positive attitude.
Original post by WelshStudent111
I got BBC in my A levels which is lower than my predicted. I was rejected by my firm and insurance choice but managed to get an offer from Sussex through clearing. I was very disappointed with my grades and I'm considering re-taking since A level grades are a big factor in law firm applications and Sussex is a non-russell group uni. Do I take a gap year (earn money and experience) and resit to get better grades? Or will this just make things even worse?

Hi @WelshStudent111,

At the end of the day, grades are not everything and there would be nothing wrong with going ahead with your grades and getting a good degree mark in Law at this university. With top firms and chambers being very competitive, there is no guarantee that resitting your grades would change your end outcome and there is also no guarantee that the grades you have will hold you back in anyway. If you decide to take a gap year and resit then there are lots of benefits to the experience and skills you can gain in that year off (legal work experience etc). Equally, if you decide to go to university then focus on the future - get a good degree grade and widen your skill set through work experience, mooting, workshops etc. Grades are just one of many factors that future employers look at when choosing successful candidates so whatever you do I am sure you will have a great career ahead of you!

I hope this helps and good luck making your decision!

Sophie :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending