The Student Room Group

degree/career advice

hi im going into year 12 in September so I know im thinking about this pretty early but I really have no idea what I want to do as a degree or career. At the moment for A levels I'm taking English lit, French, maths and history as they are the subjects I enjoy the most but Im really struggling with finding any jobs or degrees I would be interested in doing. Does anyone have any advice? Thank u:smile:
Reply 1
I was in a very similar situation to you! I'm an A level student and know it is super hard to decide what to do with your future at such a young age. I have decided on environmental science degree and career personally by thinking about what I'm interested in really carefully and deciding my key goals. For me that was sustainability and helping the planet.

If you feel able to, talk to family or friends about your concerns. They might be able to help you think about what your strengths are and how you can capitalise on them career-wise.

I would also think back-what have you enjoyed doing for a long time? You can think about whether your A levels are related to any careers that you might be interested in. Some universities have a 'careers' section on pages for their degrees. Indeed also has a lot of job advertisements on their website, so you can look at what jobs require educationally.

I won't say follow your heart as so many people said that to me- I would think, but I have so many conflicting feelings! My advice is play to your strengths, think about what you will enjoy doing and what you love, and then think about careers related to that. Also remember nothing is set in stone and there are loads of different options for career changes. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending