The Student Room Group

My Life is Bad, but it could be great

I used to frequent this forum a lot. Back when I was pre-uni. Probably about 10 years ago now. Used to subscribe so I was in the backroom, and would post a lot. Back then I thought life would be different to how it is now. I will tell you my situation.

I graduated with a degree about 5 years ago. Since then I moved back in with my parents. I was an old undergrad, starting the degree about aged 28 or something. Anyway, I have a schizophrenia diagnosis. The great thing about that is I get tonnes of free money off of the government. The bad thing is that I now don't work because I'm so used to the free money. I've been out of work so long that I think it's going to be my lifestyle now. So yes, I'm just going to live with parents, not have a family, not have a career. And then die. That's my life.

On the positive side at least I am looking after my fitness. And I don't smoke anymore. I'm going to start trying to get up at 6am as well. But I really need something to do with my time because I have nothing. Any ideas? I graduated in Computer Science but lost interest in it soon after graduating. I have so much free time that I don't know what to do with it.

Any advice appreciated.
Reply 1
Well done for giving up smoking and looking after your fitness!

If work doesn't feel like an option, have you considered some form of volunteering? It would give you something to do and some for of routine, even if it's just once a week. Would also give you some additional skills if you did decide to go into employment at some point. Other than that, do you have any hobbies or interrests that you may want to take up? If you are on benefits, evening classes via the local council are usually very cheap so may be worth looking into. Also, there may be support groups locally for peoplewith mental health problems - even if you don't feel you need any support, they usually do events and meet ups so again, would be something to do.
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
Well done for giving up smoking and looking after your fitness!

If work doesn't feel like an option, have you considered some form of volunteering? It would give you something to do and some for of routine, even if it's just once a week. Would also give you some additional skills if you did decide to go into employment at some point. Other than that, do you have any hobbies or interrests that you may want to take up? If you are on benefits, evening classes via the local council are usually very cheap so may be worth looking into. Also, there may be support groups locally for peoplewith mental health problems - even if you don't feel you need any support, they usually do events and meet ups so again, would be something to do.

the most likely thing to happen of what you've suggested in the mental health group. there is a group called man down that i might attend, i went there years ago and it was ok but didnt bother going back. i have ddecided i'm going to read a lot and learn some music to occupy myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending