The Student Room Group

Gap year

Hi, I'm starting Year 13 next year and the closer I get to the end of sixth form, I start to want to do a gap year. In this year, I feel like I could develop on myself and sort my life into something I can be happy with before progressing onto anything else. However, after this year I wish to pursue a career in dentistry, which I know is a competitive course, so my questions are, will I be less competitive with people applying onto those courses that haven't taken a gap year?And will my UCAT still be applicable/will I have to take it again?
Original post by Ghost150
Hi, I'm starting Year 13 next year and the closer I get to the end of sixth form, I start to want to do a gap year. In this year, I feel like I could develop on myself and sort my life into something I can be happy with before progressing onto anything else. However, after this year I wish to pursue a career in dentistry, which I know is a competitive course, so my questions are, will I be less competitive with people applying onto those courses that haven't taken a gap year?And will my UCAT still be applicable/will I have to take it again?

I would suggest that you apply for uni then defer for a year rather than applying fresh after the gap year.
as the other person suggested, you should definitely apply for a deferred offer, then you will be considered alongside everyone else and would be able to enjoy your gap year without having to worry about applying. But to answer your second question, I am not a med student but I have a good mate who's currently studying dentistry, and from what she has told me, no you would have to take the UCAT again if you reapply. Your last year's score doesn't carry forward. Another reason why deferred entry is probably the best course of action.

Quick Reply

Latest