The Student Room Group

Is doing an extra level 3 apprenticeship a bad idea after a levels?

I'm really interested in joining the RAF and I've only recently looked into their apprenticeship programs after my first year of a-levels. They are only grade 3 so they wouldn't replace a uni degree, but it would be a dream to work in the RAF. Is it a bad idea to do the apprenticeship and then uni afterwards, or should I go to uni first?
Reply 1
Hi there. I guess it really depends on what you want for your long term career, and what you need the degree for. It also depends on the subject you are thinking of taking, and how that will assist with career progression.

I joined the RAF at 18 as an aircraft engineer, and completed an apprenticeship (although that was some time ago!). I had a very successful career doing what I loved. While in the RAF, I completed my undergraduate degree (in my own time/day release) and later a masters (fully sponsored), so there are opportunities if you look for them. The RAF will also assist in paying towards your degree course when you leave, if you don't already have a degree level qualification, and have completed the required length of service.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending