The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Been discontinued from Maths at Royal Holloway, want to change to music

Hi everyone I hope you are having a good day. After I got my results, I was told I cant continue with my maths degree due to me not passing 4 modules on my 2nd attempt. I asked my tutor if I can transfer to Music with sound design and he said yes.

I got in contact with the lectures and heads of music at RH, they said I could do it, if I pass the theory test which is okay and he would take me into the course in foundation year which I am okay will (im 21).

My concern now is that the email they sent to me said I would have to leave RH and no longer study there, but i assume that email was already going to be sent before I got my results. The music professor told me to contact EPMS to tell them about my transfer, they said it would take up to 5 working days(its been more now).

Im just worried that I cant change to the course which is better for me, I have a house for next year and I am not sure if I should look for other options or just wait it out/ go to the uni to ask what the plan is

Thank you for reading!
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Folls
Hi everyone I hope you are having a good day. After I got my results, I was told I cant continue with my maths degree due to me not passing 4 modules on my 2nd attempt. I asked my tutor if I can transfer to Music with sound design and he said yes.

I got in contact with the lectures and heads of music at RH, they said I could do it, if I pass the theory test which is okay and he would take me into the course in foundation year which I am okay will (im 21).

My concern now is that the email they sent to me said I would have to leave RH and no longer study there, but i assume that email was already going to be sent before I got my results. The music professor told me to contact EPMS to tell them about my transfer, they said it would take up to 5 working days(its been more now).

Im just worried that I cant change to the course which is better for me, I have a house for next year and I am not sure if I should look for other options or just wait it out/ go to the uni to ask what the plan is

Thank you for reading!

I would contact EPMS again (preferably by phone, so you're not waiting for them to reply to an email) and ask them to confirm that the transfer is being processed and that there are no issues. Asking for an ETA for its completion would also be sensible.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Okay thank you, so I am allowed to transfer and allowed to study at the uni?

Original post by DataVenia
I would contact EPMS again (preferably by phone, so you're not waiting for them to reply to an email) and ask them to confirm that the transfer is being processed and that there are no issues. Asking for an ETA for its completion would also be sensible.
Original post by Folls
Okay thank you, so I am allowed to transfer and allowed to study at the uni?

Yes. Here is my evidence.

1. Your original post says, "the lectures and heads of music at RH ...said I could do it".
2. Your original post says, "they said it would take up to 5 working days(its been more now)" - given the context "they" here means EPMS, the school you're transferring from. They didn't say, "No - you can't do that."

By the way, have you read the "Student transfer arrangements" section of this page, or the "Process to Change Degree Programme for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught Students" PDF to which it links? That describes the process in detail, and even includes a nice flow chart. It also reiterates the "within five working days" timeline but also says, "During peak times, or when further information is required, turnaround times may be extended." My guess is the end of the academic year counts as a "peak time".

The PDF says, "After speaking with the Department/School(s) you wish to join, they will give you a form to complete and return to them." Did that happen? I only mention it as you've not mentioned a form above.
Reply 4
Okay thank you, you have reassured me

1. Your original post says, "the lectures and heads of music at RH ...said I could do it".
2. Your original post says, "they said it would take up to 5 working days(its been more now)" - given the context "they" here means EPMS, the school you're transferring from. They didn't say, "No - you can't do that."

By the way, have you read the "Student transfer arrangements" section of this page, or the "Process to Change Degree Programme for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught Students" PDF to which it links? That describes the process in detail, and even includes a nice flow chart. It also reiterates the "within five working days" timeline but also says, "During peak times, or when further information is required, turnaround times may be extended." My guess is the end of the academic year counts as a "peak time".

The PDF says, "After speaking with the Department/School(s) you wish to join, they will give you a form to complete and return to them." Did that happen? I only mention it as you've not mentioned a form above.
Reply 5
No they haven't yet, I think they are busy and they will get back to me. I will call them on monday. Do they normally send a form by email?

Original post by Folls
No they haven't yet, I think they are busy and they will get back to me. I will call them on monday. Do they normally send a form by email?

I've no idea, I'm afraid. I was just reading their Process to Change Degree Programme for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught Students document, and I noticed that what it says happens. Definitely call them and ask about the form.
Reply 7
Okay, thank you

I've no idea, I'm afraid. I was just reading their Process to Change Degree Programme for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught Students document, and I noticed that what it says happens. Definitely call them and ask about the form.
Reply 8
One further question if you dont mind. For SFE, do I wait till i get a response from the university or do I just go ahead now and change my application. I already started it before I got the results for maths, but now want to change the course if that is possible

Original post by Folls
One further question if you dont mind. For SFE, do I wait till i get a response from the university or do I just go ahead now and change my application. I already started it before I got the results for maths, but now want to change the course if that is possible

Well, that's a question probably best best asked in the Ask Student Finance England forum (which is where the experts from SFE hang out).

However, I'd probably wait until you know for sure that the transfer has actually happened. (You don't need to specifically apply for a "gift year" - you just apply as you would any other year.)
Reply 10
Okay thank you again

Well, that's a question probably best best asked in the Ask Student Finance England forum (which is where the experts from SFE hang out).

However, I'd probably wait until you know for sure that the transfer has actually happened. (You don't need to specifically apply for a "gift year" - you just apply as you would any other year.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending