The Student Room Group

girl advice

I guess there are a lot of posts like these but sometimes you do need help with these things

Theres a girl who gets the same train as me every day on the commute every day for the past month or so, i notice that she likes to keep herself to herself and in general she seems reserved i.e. she never sits in a crowded place or talks to anyone but recently shes noticed me and she sat next to me a couple of times. Im finding it very difficult to start a convo with her as the train is always too busy and and I don't want to embarass anyone or come across as creepy (I put myself in that situation and I feel it is awkward when random people try to chat to you on a busy train). I just feel like this is something I need to explore and cant get my head around it!!!

Some advice would be good

P.S. I have not met anyone in so long, thats just the way life is and I feel like I am overthinking.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I guess there are a lot of posts like these but sometimes you do need help with these things

Theres a girl who gets the same train as me every day on the commute every day for the past month or so, i notice that she likes to keep herself to herself and in general she seems reserved i.e. she never sits in a crowded place or talks to anyone but recently shes noticed me and she sat next to me a couple of times. Im finding it very difficult to start a convo with her as the train is always too busy and and I don't want to embarass anyone or come across as creepy (I put myself in that situation and I feel it is awkward when random people try to chat to you on a busy train). I just feel like this is something I need to explore and cant get my head around it!!!

P.S. I have not met anyone in so long, thats just the way life is and I feel like I am overthinking.

Hi! :smile:

I would say to test the waters and slowly introduce dialect, introduce a conversation that has no commitment. Maybe a simple passing comment or complement, something that almost doesn't need much of a response but gives an 'in' in terms of conversation, then you are leaving the door open for her to answer without any pressure or commitment to a full detailed dialog or trapping her in a conversation she doesn't want. She can give a simple, brief response or open the conversation herself to respond with something more detailed if she wants almost batting the ball back to you for a back and forth. Do you guys say hello to each other when you see each other? is she reading a book or listening to music? does she have a distinct stand out feature? Even non verbal cues can give her the impression that you are interested, smile at her, gesture to let her off the train in front of you, small things like that. :smile: Best of luck to you!!
Reply 2
Original post by meganelizts

I would say to test the waters and slowly introduce dialect, introduce a conversation that has no commitment. Maybe a simple passing comment or complement, something that almost doesn't need much of a response but gives an 'in' in terms of conversation, then you are leaving the door open for her to answer without any pressure or commitment to a full detailed dialog or trapping her in a conversation she doesn't want. She can give a simple, brief response or open the conversation herself to respond with something more detailed if she wants almost batting the ball back to you for a back and forth. Do you guys say hello to each other when you see each other? is she reading a book or listening to music? does she have a distinct stand out feature? Even non verbal cues can give her the impression that you are interested, smile at her, gesture to let her off the train in front of you, small things like that. :smile: Best of luck to you!!

I have taken all this into consideration and I have noticed that she is genuinely quiet and reserved and keeps herself to herself which makes it harder to approach her but I do try and send her gestures etc which is always a good start. I believe that these things do take time given the environment i.e. I dont want to come across as a stalker lol. I dont think shes the type who likes being approached in crowded places?

I know a woman who was given a book on the train by an admirer such as yourself. They went on to have a long term relationship, including a child.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
I know a woman who was given a book on the train by an admirer such as yourself. They went on to have a long term relationship, including a child.

It sounds like your from another generation/era. Im on the young side
It sounds like your from another generation/era. Im on the young side

True, as was the woman. If you look deeper, however, it's a romantic gesture involving something she's interested in.
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
True, as was the woman. If you look deeper, however, it's a romantic gesture involving something she's interested in.

Im not at that stage yet
Reply 7
Original post by meganelizts

Any more tips?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending