The Student Room Group

How are essays written for A-level psychology?

I would assume that it would be similar to writing a GCSE English Lit essay (obviously a lot more complex), however, I wasn't great at English and rather thrived in subjects like history and media. (don't ask me why I wasn't good at English and good at these ones lol). Would exams for A-level psychology be more similar to English or media?
Original post by userXi
I would assume that it would be similar to writing a GCSE English Lit essay (obviously a lot more complex), however, I wasn't great at English and rather thrived in subjects like history and media. (don't ask me why I wasn't good at English and good at these ones lol). Would exams for A-level psychology be more similar to English or media?

Probably more like History, where you need to remember certain facts (name of psychologists, case studies, etc.), present an argument (showing both "for" and "against") and then reach a conclusion. If you "rather thrived in subjects like history", you should be fine.
Reply 2
im going to assume your talking about 16 markers in alevel psychology - its typically written in a pretty simple PEEL structure in which you'll have to usually evaluate a given topic so roughly you'll write 5/6 paragraphs - sometimes they ask you to apply your knowledge to a specific situation but your teachers will go over these - i will say its best to practice these for revision especially the application based ones :smile:

So yeah they'd be somewhat similar to english lit - except you aren't analysing any quotes your just backing up your points with evidence

Quick Reply

Latest