The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Conflicted - Uni of Manchester or Uni of Melbourne

Hello! I'm writing on here to see if anyone can give some insight. I am planning on studying psychology for my undergraduate degree and I am conflicted on whether I should go to the UK or go to Australia.

I have been given an offer at the University of Manchester (my insurance choice) recently and thinking of rejecting my firm choice as of right now because they have deferred me until August 17th.

My plan b has always been Australia and when I did not receive offers after I got my IB results, I decided to apply to the University of Melbourne as a start. But I do not have an offer yet.

Now I am conflicted on whether to pursue my undergrad degree at Manchester or Melbourne. If anyone has advice or experience, please give me some guidance.
Original post by hanbahrin
Hello! I'm writing on here to see if anyone can give some insight. I am planning on studying psychology for my undergraduate degree and I am conflicted on whether I should go to the UK or go to Australia.

I have been given an offer at the University of Manchester (my insurance choice) recently and thinking of rejecting my firm choice as of right now because they have deferred me until August 17th.

My plan b has always been Australia and when I did not receive offers after I got my IB results, I decided to apply to the University of Melbourne as a start. But I do not have an offer yet.

Now I am conflicted on whether to pursue my undergrad degree at Manchester or Melbourne. If anyone has advice or experience, please give me some guidance.

What are you planning on doing after your undergraduate degree? If your plan is to become a practicing Psychologist in the UK, which will also require a postgraduate qualification, then taking your undergraduate degree at Manchester rather than Melbourne will ease that journey.

This is because Manchester's Psychology degree is accredited by the BPS (British Psychological Society) and entry to the postgraduate qualifications I mentioned above will require that your undergraduate degree is BPS-accredited.

If you opt for Melbourne instead, then you'd need to take an additional postgraduate qualification (a conversion course) to gain the BPS accreditation.

If, however, you are not planning on pursuing Psychology as a career, or aren't planning to practice it in the UK, then feel free to ignore all of the above! :smile:

BTW, what do you mean when you say that your firm choice has "deferred me until August 17th." Do you mean that you didn't meet the requirements in their offer, so they're waiting until August 17th (A level results day) before deciding whether they can offer you a place not? I assume this a UK university? Would you really throw away that potential opportunity rather than wait just two weeks?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
What are you planning on doing after your undergraduate degree? If your plan is to become a practicing Psychologist in the UK, which will also require a postgraduate qualification, then taking your undergraduate degree at Manchester rather than Melbourne will ease that journey.

This is because Manchester's Psychology degree is accredited by the BPS (British Psychological Society) and entry to the postgraduate qualifications I mentioned above will require that your undergraduate degree is BPS-accredited.

If you opt for Melbourne instead, then you'd need to take an additional postgraduate qualification (a conversion course) to gain the BPS accreditation.

If, however, you are not planning on pursuing Psychology as a career, or aren't planning to practice it in the UK, then feel free to ignore all of the above! :smile:

BTW, what do you mean when you say that your firm choice has "deferred me until August 17th." Do you mean that you didn't meet the requirements in their offer, so they're waiting until August 17th (A level results day) before deciding whether they can offer you a place not? I assume this a UK university? Would you really throw away that potential opportunity rather than wait just two weeks?

As of right now, I do not plan on becoming a practicing psychologist and looking to take psychology in a non-clinical route. Thanks for the insight though!

And yes, I did not meet one of the conditions for psychology at King's College London so they have deferred me to August 17th and inform me if there is a place for me after A-level results. The reason I'm essentially "throwing away" this opportunity is because I couldn't get the scholarship that would have helped to pay the tuition. It is a little too steep for my family's finances so even though I would have loved to go to KCL, it was not meant to be for me unfortunately. And if I did get accepted into KCL, my offer at Manchester would be automatically declined. So that's why I'm so conflicted because my future feels so uncertain right now.
If you have an opportunity to study elsewhere then I would recommend that. UK? Politically, economically, socially disgusting country. I will work on getting out of here myself. Just my opinion though, make your own judgements.
As of right now, I do not plan on becoming a practicing psychologist and looking to take psychology in a non-clinical route. Thanks for the insight though!

Understood.

And yes, I did not meet one of the conditions for psychology at King's College London so they have deferred me to August 17th and inform me if there is a place for me after A-level results. The reason I'm essentially "throwing away" this opportunity is because I couldn't get the scholarship that would have helped to pay the tuition. It is a little too steep for my family's finances so even though I would have loved to go to KCL, it was not meant to be for me unfortunately. And if I did get accepted into KCL, my offer at Manchester would be automatically declined. So that's why I'm so conflicted because my future feels so uncertain right now.

If King's is no longer an option for you (due to the cost) then I would encourage you to ask them to release you to you insurance choice (i.e. to reject you). This is not something you can do yourself. You can't use the "decline my place" feature within UCAS until you have a place to decline. This will only happen if, on August 17th, King's offer you a place. The moment they do that, your insurance offer vanishes, So it's too late. You'd be in Clearing.

Note that this isn't impacted by your Manchester / Melbourne decision, so doesn't need to wait until you've resolved that particular issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending