The Student Room Group

Nursing Financial Support

Hi,

I am thinking about studying Nursing in university after sixth from. However, I am worried about my income to afford everything like tuition fees, accommodation and food while trying to juggle a minimum of 2,300 hours in unpaid placement.

Would someone be able to explain to me what I can do to help me with this, what loans should I apply for, is the NHS Learning Support Fund worth it?

Thanks.
Original post by notkierantho
Hi,

I am thinking about studying Nursing in university after sixth from. However, I am worried about my income to afford everything like tuition fees, accommodation and food while trying to juggle a minimum of 2,300 hours in unpaid placement.

Would someone be able to explain to me what I can do to help me with this, what loans should I apply for, is the NHS Learning Support Fund worth it?

Thanks.

You will be able to apply for loans from student finance to cover tuition fees and living costs. You can get an idea of what maintenance loan you might get with the following calculator:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Part of the maintenance loan is adjusted according to household income. If you are from a low income family (less than £25,000 per year), then you would likely qualify for the maximum loan. Otherwise the amount reduces as household income increases.

If you study at a uni in England and are eligible for student finance, then you would be able to apply for the NHS Learning Support Fund. This pays an annual training grant of £5,000 per year and reimburses additional accommodation and travel expenses associated with placements. So it is worth applying for and you might struggle financially if you don't apply.

Consider unis in locations that have lower accommodation and living costs (usually Northern unis). You can check the cost of uni accommodation on their websites.
Reply 2
Original post by normaw

You will be able to apply for loans from student finance to cover tuition fees and living costs. You can get an idea of what maintenance loan you might get with the following calculator:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Part of the maintenance loan is adjusted according to household income. If you are from a low income family (less than £25,000 per year), then you would likely qualify for the maximum loan. Otherwise the amount reduces as household income increases.

If you study at a uni in England and are eligible for student finance, then you would be able to apply for the NHS Learning Support Fund. This pays an annual training grant of £5,000 per year and reimburses additional accommodation and travel expenses associated with placements. So it is worth applying for and you might struggle financially if you don't apply.

Consider unis in locations that have lower accommodation and living costs (usually Northern unis). You can check the cost of uni accommodation on their websites.

Perfect, thank you for explaining.
Original post by notkierantho
Hi,

Thanks.

Hi,

The NHS Learning support fund is of huge assistance to nursing students in supporting their studies.It's a non-means tested bursary meaning everyone, as long as they are a UK citizen is eligible for the full £5000.

I would also look at the maintenance loan and tuition loan to cover the rest of you living costs and your tuition fees. The maintenance loan is available to UK citizens and is a means-tested loan where they assess your income along with your household income to assess a suitable loan amount for each individual student. The tuition loan however is usually granted to students for up to 4 years and covers there tuition fees.

I hope this is of some assistance,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing
Original post by LSBU
Hi,

The NHS Learning support fund is of huge assistance to nursing students in supporting their studies.It's a non-means tested bursary meaning everyone, as long as they are a UK citizen is eligible for the full £5000.

I would also look at the maintenance loan and tuition loan to cover the rest of you living costs and your tuition fees. The maintenance loan is available to UK citizens and is a means-tested loan where they assess your income along with your household income to assess a suitable loan amount for each individual student. The tuition loan however is usually granted to students for up to 4 years and covers there tuition fees.

I hope this is of some assistance,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing

Please stop bumping older threads that have already been replied to when you are not adding any more useful information. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending