The Student Room Group

NHS Learning Support Fund and Universal credit

Hi,
I’m going back to uni in September for Speech and Language Therapy and just wondering if anyone in a similar position already knows how student finance and grants affect benefits like Universal Credit? I have a daughter aged 1 as well as rent element so think I would still get it but unsure what’s included in deductions.

I believe I’ll get max maintenance loan of £9978 plus upto £1915 in parents learning allowance. And from the NHS Learning Support Fund will get a £5000 grant plus £2000 parental support.
I’m pretty sure the parents’ learning allowance and parental support are disregarded but seeing some contradicting things online about the £5000 grant.
Anyone know if they take this into account? And how much is deducted for the loan etc.?

Wondering if I’m going to need to budget this amount to cover my rent and bills for the whole year 😅
for me the 5000 learning support fund had no effect on my maintenance loan and i got 10.4k for this year
Original post by staticas
Hi,
I’m going back to uni in September for Speech and Language Therapy and just wondering if anyone in a similar position already knows how student finance and grants affect benefits like Universal Credit? I have a daughter aged 1 as well as rent element so think I would still get it but unsure what’s included in deductions.

I believe I’ll get max maintenance loan of £9978 plus upto £1915 in parents learning allowance. And from the NHS Learning Support Fund will get a £5000 grant plus £2000 parental support.
I’m pretty sure the parents’ learning allowance and parental support are disregarded but seeing some contradicting things online about the £5000 grant.
Anyone know if they take this into account? And how much is deducted for the loan etc.?

Wondering if I’m going to need to budget this amount to cover my rent and bills for the whole year 😅

Quote from the NHS Learning Support Fund leaflet (PDF attached):

The Training Grant is not means tested and won’t affect any student loan payments you may be receiving.
If you are in receipt of any social security benefits you should check your position with the relevant agency.

The Entitled To website also implies that grants and loans are taken into account:

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Student-income-Universal-Credit

However, the RCN website seems to imply that the DWP don't always get their calculations right. Although the following is for student nurses, the same principles will apply to your situation:

England - Student Maintenance Loans

If you are eligible for a student maintenance loan it counts as income. The maximum loan you could be entitled to is taken into account, even if you decide not to take out the loan or if it is reduced because of household income.

A dependent’s grant paid as well as your loan for someone included in your Universal Credit claim counts as income, but other grants such as Parent Learners allowance should be disregarded.

NHS Learning Support Fund available to NHS funded students studying in England
£5000 Training Grant: As this is not paid for a dependant, this should be disregarded
£2000 Parental Support (formerly child dependants’ allowance): This should be disregarded. (The DWP often include Parental Support Grant as income, but it has been decided at DWP Tribunal that this should also be disregarded, as it is not paid specifically for a dependant.)
Exceptional Support Fund: this is a hardship payment and should be treated as capital, not income.

Source: https://www.rcn.org.uk/Get-Help/Member-support-services/Welfare-Service/Benefits/Students-and-benefits/Universal-Credit
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by okayykayy
for me the 5000 learning support fund had no effect on my maintenance loan and i got 10.4k for this year

That’s good to know thank you!!
Reply 4
Original post by okayykayy

That’s good to know thank you!!
Reply 5
Original post by normaw
Quote from the NHS Learning Support Fund leaflet (PDF attached):

The Training Grant is not means tested and won’t affect any student loan payments you may be receiving.
If you are in receipt of any social security benefits you should check your position with the relevant agency.

The Entitled To website also implies that grants and loans are taken into account:

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Student-income-Universal-Credit

However, the RCN website seems to imply that the DWP don't always get their calculations right. Although the following is for student nurses, the same principles will apply to your situation:

England - Student Maintenance Loans

If you are eligible for a student maintenance loan it counts as income. The maximum loan you could be entitled to is taken into account, even if you decide not to take out the loan or if it is reduced because of household income.

A dependent’s grant paid as well as your loan for someone included in your Universal Credit claim counts as income, but other grants such as Parent Learners allowance should be disregarded.

NHS Learning Support Fund available to NHS funded students studying in England
£5000 Training Grant: As this is not paid for a dependant, this should be disregarded
£2000 Parental Support (formerly child dependants’ allowance): This should be disregarded. (The DWP often include Parental Support Grant as income, but it has been decided at DWP Tribunal that this should also be disregarded, as it is not paid specifically for a dependant.)
Exceptional Support Fund: this is a hardship payment and should be treated as capital, not income.

Source: https://www.rcn.org.uk/Get-Help/Member-support-services/Welfare-Service/Benefits/Students-and-benefits/Universal-Credit

Oh brill so it looks like only the £9978 would be taken into account and UC payments shouldn’t be completely wiped out, which is a relief as I thought I’d have to reapply for summer months if nil payments closed the claim. Thanks for your help!
I am in receipt of UC. I am entitled full maintenance loan. My experience is my UC payments halved October through to June and went back up to full July through to September. However, I've not been in receipt of an NHS learning support fund. As I wasn't on an eligible course. I start MH nursing in Sept 23. Not sure if their fund will alter my UC
The NHS learning support grant is not included in the universal credit calculation. Neither is the parental allowance or any special support element of your maintenance loan. You devide the total by the qualifying periods you will be covered by your maintenance loan.

This link will show you how to calculate it.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Full-time-students-and-benefits/How-much-Universal-Credit-will-I-get
(edited 1 year ago)
They also won’t take the full £9000+ into account either. As around 4K of that is special support element (should show it on your letter). Make sure you show UC this as they’ll try and take into account the full 9k. They also disregard 110 per month for books etc too. They end up taking way less UC than you expect :smile: student mother to a toddler here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending