The Student Room Group

Maintance loan won't cover living

My brother is going to uni this year.
He just received his maintenance loan and it is MUCH lower than expected. This is based on our household income which varies greatly year to year - and my parents wrote a cover letter to explain that as they currently make nowhere near what they made in the years that the loan was based on. They aren't able to support us at all.

I'll (probably) be fine if I work full-time all year before I head off to uni for the next 5 years (instead of getting experience like I had originally planned), but my brother's loan only covers about half of his rent. He said he can't find anything cheaper. The amount he is missing to be able to meet living costs is too high for a uni job to cover it with how much time he'll have free during uni.

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: found out they messed up his application when they were assessing it and that's how he got the small loan :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Student finance in this country is an absolute joke. I'm sorry to hear that you're brother is experiencing these difficulties.
Original post by CarpalToad
My brother is going to uni this year.
He just received his maintenance loan and it is MUCH lower than expected. This is based on our household income which varies greatly year to year - and my parents wrote a cover letter to explain that as they currently make nowhere near what they made in the years that the loan was based on. They aren't able to support us at all.

I'll (probably) be fine if I work full-time all year before I head off to uni for the next 5 years (instead of getting experience like I had originally planned), but my brother's loan only covers about half of his rent. He said he can't find anything cheaper. The amount he is missing to be able to meet living costs is too high for a uni job to cover it with how much time he'll have free during uni.

Any help is appreciated.

Your brother needs to contact his uni to see if there is any hardship funds/bursaries available.
Original post by normaw
Your brother needs to contact his uni to see if there is any hardship funds/bursaries available.

This, at least 2 years I made use of hardship funds and it added 2k to my money easy

Where is he trying to rent? As if the price of rent is crazy high it just won't work. You say his loan was much lower than expected and only covers half the rent... this kind of implies even the full loan would have at most paid the rent and nothing else and still wouldn't work?
Reply 4
@CarpalToad I've had the exact same problem. I was told by SFE to fill and submit a current year income form (CYI) that would assess my parents income this tax year. This is meant to help get a higher maintenance loan. I'm still waiting to hear back but maybe it's also something you could try.
If your parent's income has changed, they can fill out a current year income form and get reassessed based on that.

The student loan system at the moment is a joke though. Inflation sky high, loans increasing by less than 3% with cost of living crisis. No wonder so many can't afford uni at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending