The Student Room Group

Physics personal statement advice

I recently finished my personal statement. How is it?

Also, I am worried that I didn't write enough about physics and am planning to replace the second paragraph (the RI lecture) with one about 'Brief answers to the big questions'. Should I?

I have copied it out, as the upload doesn't work:

I have always been interested in the story of the laws that govern the universe. This is especially true for theoretical physics, with how it’s mathematical links manage to entwine seemingly unrelated areas. To consolidate these interests, I have pursued a range of super curricular activities.

Just this year, I was selected to attend a variety of lectures organised by The RI on the everyday applications of mathematical techniques. Here, we learnt how the size of universe was measured through intrinsic techniques gradually increasing in scale, how chaos theory can be applied to the forecasting of the weather, and the mathematics of correlation and Bayes’ theorem. I also learnt a variety of critical thinking skills through solving a variety of game-theory dilemmas, such as the market stall problem. Each was at the level and rate of a typical lecture, equal parts demanding and engaging, making me excited for what lies ahead.

Wanting to learn more about experimental technique, I attended a lecture on the discovery of neutrinos, seeing how scientists utilised Feynman diagrams and the technology of their time to confirm their discovery. I enjoyed learning the challenge of detecting something that was seemingly undetectable, especially since it parallels our current problems with dark matter and dark energy. Overall, I feel it was quite motivational and inspiring, showing that even the impossible can be done. However, I wanted to learn more about particle physics, so I studied more deeply into it. I fell down a rabbit hole describing the symmetries of the universe, the significance of a 5-sigma result in the search for the leptoquark, and how finding a heavier, sterile neutrino could explain the quirks of the neutrino's current model. Altogether, I learned how researchers conduct and verify tests to check the validity of our current models, and it has fascinated me to the point where I am driven to conduct said experiments myself.

However, it is not just the physical experiments that beguile me, as last year I had chosen to study a Millennium problem as an artefact for my EPQ. I decided to study the history of the Riemann hypothesis, though I would later read up on Fermat's last theorem and the Navier-Stokes equation in my own time. Here I learnt how one absurdly difficult mathematical problem was replaced by a more tangible one, and how it connected mathematicians and physicists studying wildly differing topics. I also learnt a variety of university-level techniques including modulus, mobius inversion, and asymptotic functions. This ultimately culminated in a book inspired by the likes of 3Blue1Brown and Randall Munroe which acted as a Layman’s guide to problem solving at the highest mathematical level. Through this thoroughly enjoyable experience, I learned how to better manage my time, find inspiration, and research efficiently, all techniques that will be useful in university-level dissertations.

Outside of these formal experiences, I still enjoy finding patterns. This is best exemplified through my love of books, as I have read a multitude of them varying in topic and length. One of my personal favourites is on Feynman, describing how he used his unique critical thinking skills to navigate through life’s problems. It is possible that his love of music has inspired my own, as I am currently dabbling in music theory, finding how a song’s various lifts and dips are connected. Though I am also dabbling in etymology, the intangibility of art fascinates me more, especially as I have invested the time in teaching myself how to draw. I also enjoy challenging myself by reading books on quantum physics and hawking radiation. Balancing schoolwork with my personal interests requires discipline and commitment to both parties. I feel physics will fit well here as a persistent challenge, allowing me to easily explore previously untouched depths.
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by NoRJoke112233

Also, I am worried that I didn't write enough about physics and am planning to replace the second paragraph (the RI lecture) with one about 'Brief answers to the big questions'. Should I?

Hi, this can’t be viewed. It says the file may be corrupted? Is there another way you could attach?
Original post by subbhy
Hi, this can’t be viewed. It says the file may be corrupted? Is there another way you could attach?

Hello, I have copied it out. Can you see it now?
Reply 3
Hello, I have copied it out. Can you see it now?

Hi, it reads well and it’s clear you have a fascination for physics! I don’t know enough about Physics to suggest anything that could improve it but I was interested in seeing a little part where you talk about what you hope to study at uni presumably? Like what do you want to know more about and why etc
Original post by subbhy
Hi, it reads well and it’s clear you have a fascination for physics! I don’t know enough about Physics to suggest anything that could improve it but I was interested in seeing a little part where you talk about what you hope to study at uni presumably? Like what do you want to know more about and why etc

Ah, okay, thanks.
Ah, okay, thanks.

You are going to have to rewrite this from scratch now that you’ve posted it publicly online.

If you use even 2 sentences from it then it’ll be flagged by UCAS as plagiarised.
Original post by PQ
You are going to have to rewrite this from scratch now that you’ve posted it publicly online.

If you use even 2 sentences from it then it’ll be flagged by UCAS as plagiarised.

Wait, really?
Wait, really?

Unfortunately, yes.

Shame as it is a beautifully written PS, too.
Wait, really?

Yes

You can’t post your PS publicly online.

If your submitted PS matches content online then it will be flagged as plagiarism.
Original post by PQ
Yes

You can’t post your PS publicly online.

If your submitted PS matches content online then it will be flagged as plagiarism.

Oh, I was going to ewrite it anyway. Thank you
Original post by TypicalNerd
Unfortunately, yes.

Shame as it is a beautifully written PS, too.

That aside, do you think that I need to change the first paragraph to show I know more about theoretical physics?
That aside, do you think that I need to change the first paragraph to show I know more about theoretical physics?

The introduction should really highlight why you want to study physics and where your interest stems from. It may be useful to demonstrate some of your knowledge in the introduction, but I’d say it’s generally better to save some of that for paragraphs on the corresponding supercurriculars, so as to show that you have learned something from them.

Am I correct in guessing that you are applying to Oxford, given how many supercurriculars have been brought up?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by PQ

I just removed it from the post, can I use it now?
The introduction should really highlight why you want to study physics and where your interest stems from. It may be useful to demonstrate some of your knowledge in the introduction, but I’d say it’s generally better to save some of that for paragraphs on the corresponding supercurriculars, so as to show that you have learned something from them.

Am I correct in guessing that you are applying to Oxford, given how many supercurriculars have been brought up?

Yes, good eye
I just removed it from the post, can I use it now?

No

it was public for well over 2 hours. It will have been cached by google.
Original post by PQ
No

it was public for well over 2 hours. It will have been cached by google.

Ah, ok
Yes, good eye

Then in which case, you may wish to look at some of the posts by PAT_22 on this thread for PAT preparation:

The second post on the page the link takes you to is especially useful

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7369093&page=5
(edited 8 months ago)
Then in which case, you may wish to look at some of the posts by PAT_22 on this thread for PAT preparation:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7369093&page=5

Ah, thank you. Much appreciated

I have copied it out, as the upload doesn't work:

My daughter is a 4th year particle physicist student at Lancaster university. I remember helping working with hers. She written what she did (summer school, club, mooc etc) and what benefits she got out of doing it and why she liked it. It showed the passion for the subject. Your teachers will also help you as well, so it will change a bit from the original that you posted. Yours is a good statement though, its showing all the topics you like :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Ghostlady
My daughter is a 4th year particle physicist student at Lancaster university. I remember helping working with hers. She written what she did (summer school, club, mooc etc) and what benefits she got out of doing it and why she liked it. It showed the passion for the subject. Your teachers will also help you as well, so it will change a bit from the original that you posted. Yours is a good statement though, its showing all the topics you like :smile:

Thank you very much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending