The Student Room Group

Can my employer for a summer job find out if I attend university?

Hey, I’m desperate for money so I grabbed a permanent job as a summer job whilst not really making it apparent that I would treat it like a summer job.

In a background check would an employer see that I’m still attending university? I feel like they will not wanna hire me since I will have to leave very soon…

I know it would have been better to simply just say, but all students know that it’s like the only way to get a job…
Reply 1
I know I should have been organised and gotten a job before but I applied to so many places, and had few interviews.

If anybody has done something similar lmk😂
Reply 2
bump
Reply 3
Bump
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I’m desperate for money so I grabbed a permanent job as a summer job whilst not really making it apparent that I would treat it like a summer job.

In a background check would an employer see that I’m still attending university? I feel like they will not wanna hire me since I will have to leave very soon…

I know it would have been better to simply just say, but all students know that it’s like the only way to get a job

I agree with you that finding a job otherwise is difficult - such has been my experience - however, if you are currently at uni, a background check could probably find this out? (I'm not sure, so don't take my word on this). However, they may ask you about it, if you are of the stereotypical student age range. I would advise you not to lie to them if that occurs.

Equally, as it has come up for me before, I would say that they probably wouldn't want to hire you if you are planning on leaving soon. Saying that, you never know, and they might be okay with it - but if you're only looking at a month or so of work, I'm not sure. I know that I don't know your situation, but I wouldn't recommend getting a permanent job when you're only planning to work temporarily. Is it possible for you to find part-time work that you can continue whilst at uni? Or on a holiday/break basis?

I don't know that this is particularly helpful (and this is all really just my opinion, as I don't have a great deal of experience or knowledge in this area - so if someone else knows better, it's probably best to take their thought over mine) but seeing as no one else had replied, I thought I would chip in.
Well, if you youve lied to them to get the job, don’t expect to use them as a reference should you need to later.

It’s always better to treat people with respect and be honest…. lying to people is not a good look.

That said, no they can’t find out… not unless you tell someone who tells them (for example, after you resign)
Reply 6
I agree with you that finding a job otherwise is difficult - such has been my experience - however, if you are currently at uni, a background check could probably find this out? (I'm not sure, so don't take my word on this). However, they may ask you about it, if you are of the stereotypical student age range. I would advise you not to lie to them if that occurs.

Equally, as it has come up for me before, I would say that they probably wouldn't want to hire you if you are planning on leaving soon. Saying that, you never know, and they might be okay with it - but if you're only looking at a month or so of work, I'm not sure. I know that I don't know your situation, but I wouldn't recommend getting a permanent job when you're only planning to work temporarily. Is it possible for you to find part-time work that you can continue whilst at uni? Or on a holiday/break basis?

I don't know that this is particularly helpful (and this is all really just my opinion, as I don't have a great deal of experience or knowledge in this area - so if someone else knows better, it's probably best to take their thought over mine) but seeing as no one else had replied, I thought I would chip in.

I tried at agencies and other jobs and got nothing. I’m in a really dire financial situation which is why I started to work there in the first place

I could continue at uni, but it’s my final year, and I’ll have to find something. I’ll try.
Reply 7
Original post by Johnny Valentine
Well, if you youve lied to them to get the job, don’t expect to use them as a reference should you need to later.

It’s always better to treat people with respect and be honest…. lying to people is not a good look.

That said, no they can’t find out… not unless you tell someone who tells them (for example, after you resign)

I haven’t necessarily lied, me and my family are financially struggling. I feel bad relying on them for help but I have super bad mental health issues and haven’t grown as a person in the past few years, getting into a routine for even a little while would really help.

I don’t really care about a reference, I know it’s not an ideal situation but ultimately they should be able to replace me very easily… I feel bad but I really need the money.
I haven’t necessarily lied, me and my family are financially struggling. I feel bad relying on them for help but I have super bad mental health issues and haven’t grown as a person in the past few years, getting into a routine for even a little while would really help.

I don’t really care about a reference, I know it’s not an ideal situation but ultimately they should be able to replace me very easily… I feel bad but I really need the money.

Yup - I understand that

Ultimately it’s your call based on the situation you find yourself in and what you need to do to cope

Like I say, they won’t know unless you tell people

I hope things improve for you soon and don’t be too hard on yourself for doing what you have little choice to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending