The Student Room Group

Concerns about my Maths degree

I will be starting a Maths with Data Science degree at the LSE shortly. I loved a-level maths, and am looking forward to starting my degree, however, I am slightly concerned that I am missing out on the key 'skills' that a maths degree provides.

From what I've read, LSEs maths is much more focused on applied mathematics specifically within a social science/finance setting. For example, there are no physics/mechanics options available. In the same regard, I have been told that there is not that big of an emphasis on proofs unlike Maths degrees at different universities.

I chose the LSEs course because:

1) I enjoyed a-level maths/further maths a lot, and I have been told that it is similar to 'applied maths' in university - heard a story at a Warwick open day about someone not enjoying their Maths as much due to the switch to proofs/theorems

2) There is a lot of flexibility in the final year for social science options - my degree allows me to take all the 'main' economic modules (Micro/Macro 1 and 2) that an Economics student would if I choose (enough so to do a graduate program in economics). Similarly, lots of flexibility for more data orientated modules (my compulsory 3rd year modules are exclusively machine learning/ai - tons of opportunities for these)

3) The environment is very career orientated

I am fearful that studying Maths at the LSE will not grant me the same 'rigour' and 'reputation' that a more traditional maths course would grant. Not in an egotistical sense, but in a sense that my general maths degree skills (e.g. analytical ability, thinking outside the box etc) are toned down compared to others maths students, resulting is a less respected degree for highly quantitative roles / post-graduate studies.

Are my concerns valid or am I generally overthinking?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by crashcody
I will be starting a Maths with Data Science degree at the LSE shortly. I loved a-level maths, and am looking forward to starting my degree, however, I am slightly concerned that I am missing out on the key 'skills' that a maths degree provides.

From what I've read, LSEs maths is much more focused on applied mathematics specifically within a social science/finance setting. For example, there are no physics/mechanics options available. In the same regard, I have been told that there is not that big of an emphasis on proofs unlike Maths degrees at different universities.

1) I enjoyed a-level maths/further maths a lot, and I have been told that it is similar to 'applied maths' in university - heard a story at a Warwick open day about someone not enjoying their Maths as much due to the switch to proofs/theorems

2) There is a lot of flexibility in the final year for social science options - my degree allows me to take all the 'main' economic modules (Micro/Macro 1 and 2) that an Economics student would if I choose (enough so to do a graduate program in economics). Similarly, lots of flexibility for more data orientated modules (my compulsory 3rd year modules are exclusively machine learning/ai - tons of opportunities for these)

I am fearful that studying Maths at the LSE will not grant me the same 'rigour' and 'reputation' that a more traditional maths course would grant. Not in an egotistical sense, but in a sense that my general maths degree skills (e.g. analytical ability, thinking outside the box etc) are toned down compared to others maths students, resulting is a less respected degree for highly quantitative roles / post-graduate studies.

I mean it should set you up well for quantitative roles given that is the majority of the course seemingly. What do you want to do post-graduate wise? If you want to continue with things you have been doing on your degree you'll be fine. However, you will be at a disadvantage if you want to do any pure maths at a masters level as you will have not learnt much of the ''pre-requisites'' for a lot of courses e.g. there is no mention of Sylow theorems in the Algebra course. But then again why would you have chosen this course if you wanted to do any pure maths.
Reply 2
Original post by zetamcfc
I mean it should set you up well for quantitative roles given that is the majority of the course seemingly. What do you want to do post-graduate wise? If you want to continue with things you have been doing on your degree you'll be fine. However, you will be at a disadvantage if you want to do any pure maths at a masters level as you will have not learnt much of the ''pre-requisites'' for a lot of courses e.g. there is no mention of Sylow theorems in the Algebra course. But then again why would you have chosen this course if you wanted to do any pure maths.

I’m not sure if I want to take on anything post-graduate yet. What would my options be? I’m guessing statistics or computer science would be available?
Reply 3
Original post by crashcody

I have the exact same issues and doing the exact same degree LOL

Quick Reply

Latest