The Student Room Group

What should I do at uni?

I am questioning what to study at uni, initially I was set on studying biology, but now I am less sure. After my work experience in a lab, I can't really see myself working in research / laboratory environment. I am concerned about graduate prospects from biology that do not require a PhD, and what other options there are besides lab work. In short, although I enjoy the subject, I am unsure whether I would be able to find an enjoyable well paid job after graduation, without gaining a PhD.

My second uni option is economics, which I have enjoyed studying at a level, and as far as I am aware has better graduate prospects.

I would be grateful for any advice!
What (enjoyable) jobs do you think you could get with an economics degree that wouldn't also be available to biology graduates?
perhaps jobs within finance or management? I don't really want to end up in science anymore, so is there any point to doing a science based degree - if I will move out of that field? I basically want to do a degree which will give me lots of options post graduation, as I don't have a specific career in mind.
Reply 3
What grade maths a level are you targeting? Further maths?
Reply 4
Original post by confused_camel
I am questioning what to study at uni, initially I was set on studying biology, but now I am less sure. After my work experience in a lab, I can't really see myself working in research / laboratory environment. I am concerned about graduate prospects from biology that do not require a PhD, and what other options there are besides lab work. In short, although I enjoy the subject, I am unsure whether I would be able to find an enjoyable well paid job after graduation, without gaining a PhD.

My second uni option is economics, which I have enjoyed studying at a level, and as far as I am aware has better graduate prospects.

I would be grateful for any advice!

Hey!! This is just one persons advice so take it with salt haha. But if doing biology is something you’ve always wanted to do, I reckon stick with it for the first few weeks and if you still dislike it transfer courses ( if it’s around the same grade levels).
Original post by confused_camel
perhaps jobs within finance or management? I don't really want to end up in science anymore, so is there any point to doing a science based degree - if I will move out of that field? I basically want to do a degree which will give me lots of options post graduation, as I don't have a specific career in mind.

Most graduates of science degrees go into finance/management or similar professional jobs. It's only a small minority who take a science degree for a science career.

If you would find a biology degree interesting then it won't close any doors for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending