The Student Room Group

Example timetable for Biomedical science ?

Hi
I'm a disabled mature student that missed a lot of schooling looking to enrol in biomed next September. I get fatigued very easily and I'm looking for a example timetable of what to expect from university life in terms of hours I'll put in in lectures, labs vs time off. Could anyone help me with what to expect ?
It will vary depending on which uni you go to and will probably increase with every year of study. In general, I had four modules per semester in first year, with each module having two one-hour lectures a week. This would give about eight hours of lectures per week, plus the odd lab (which could last anywhere from one to three hours-ish). You’ll have exams, revision and assignments on top of this. We were told that we were expected to do about ten hours of extra reading per module, per week, but I don’t know of anyone who came anywhere near that! For first year, I would say you’re looking at a minimum of twenty hours a week of study, including self-directed learning. However, this will increase in third year, especially if you’re doing a lab project - most days, I would be in and out of the lab and lectures from 9-5, so it does get a lot more intense then.

I hope this helps, as I said it’s only an estimate and will vary from uni to uni but there’s always help available from the uni. Make sure you look into DSA and disability adjustments for assignments, labs, and exams if you need them. Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending