The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medicine 2024 Cutoff

Hi,
Does anyone think that the Bham cutoff will decrease for the 2024 cycle? Or will it increase/stay the same? I am contextual btw
Thanks
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
I want to know this as well as for 2024 they are only considering free school meals and local authority care for contextuals now, but based on that i’d assume so
Original post by VilasL06
Hi,
Does anyone think that the Bham cutoff will decrease for the 2024 cycle? Or will it increase/stay the same? I am contextual btw
Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by japiso
I want to know this as well as for 2024 they are only considering free school meals and local authority care for contextuals now, but based on that i’d assume so

No, they are still using school data
"Contextual
Applicants must have attended a contextual school or have been in receipt of free school meals (FSM) during their secondary education to receive a score for this element."
"How we identify a contextual school

We use published school performance data to identify contextual schools. It is important to note that about 90% of non-selective state schools are included.
Contextual thresholds
GCSEs
Contextual measure: Attainment 8 (average score per pupil)
Score for inclusion: <54.8
A Levels
Contextual measure: QCA points per A level subject
Score for inclusion: <34.65 points
If you studied at a school that meets our contextual criteria for GCSEs and/or A Levels, you will receive a score for the contextual element. Applicants from state (non-independent) schools in Wales will receive a contextual score. Please contact your school provider or search for your school on gov.uk for more information."

So they may have tightened up on it (again), but attending an underperforming school is still part of their contextualisation
Reply 4
It says thats for 2023 entry, on their website it states “For 2024 entry onwards, eligibility for the contextual offer will be based on two criteria: having been in receipt of Free School Meals in the last 6 years, or having spent time in local authority care (and you have documented this on your UCAS form).“
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by japiso
It says thats for 2023 entry, on their website it states “For 2024 entry onwards, eligibility for the contextual offer will be based on two criteria: having been in receipt of Free School Meals in the last 6 years, or having spent time in local authority care (and you have documented this on your UCAS form).“

Hmmm.
Use of contextual data here seems to say something different
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/applying-to-medicine/entry-requirements-five-year-programme.aspx

"The approach described below is correct for the 2023/24 application cycle only. The way in which we use contextual information for 2024/25 onwards is currently under review.

Applicants who attend a state (not independent) school that meets our threshold for either GCSE or A Level (see below), or those who have been in receipt of free school meals (FSM) during their secondary education will receive a contextual score. The score we allocate is based on the POLAR4 quintile determined by your home postcode."

2023/24 application cycle would normally be 2023 applying and 2024 entry, if it is 2023 entry, they normally call it the 2023 academic year.
I would suggest anybody for whom this is critical (ie almost all potentially contextual applicants) contacts them to ask. Med schools have minimum quotas of contextual applicants they are expected to hit and I am not sure they would get there with FSM and care-experienced only.

Ahhhh. Just read further down the page I assume you were on and it says

"Contextual offers in Medicine
Up to 20% of interview places for Medicine (five-year MBChB) are available to applicants who are allocated to a contextual category. Visit the entry requirements page for Medicine for further details and eligibility criteria.
"

So looks like medicine is considered separately, but that does read like they are back to cohorting contextual applicants with a cap on it, which is not what it says on the medicine page. Not sure why they just can't be clear about it.
Original post by japiso

that's for the contextual offer, i.e. the lower grade offer, not the eligibility for extra points in the scoring system scaled to polar quintile
@GANFYD I wanted to ask if it’s too risky applying to Birmingham. I got 2690 B1 in my UCAT and my GCSEs are 6x9s 3x8s and 2x7s all the 9’s are in the core subjects, I.e. maths triple science English lang and lit. And I’m also in polar4 quintile 3. I am not however considered contextual. Would it be likely for me to receive an interview from them?
Reply 8
Original post by shushshush856
@GANFYD I wanted to ask if it’s too risky applying to Birmingham. I got 2690 B1 in my UCAT and my GCSEs are 6x9s 3x8s and 2x7s all the 9’s are in the core subjects, I.e. maths triple science English lang and lit. And I’m also in polar4 quintile 3. I am not however considered contextual. Would it be likely for me to receive an interview from them?

If you do not get contextual points, it would be highly risky
Reply 9
I’ve got around 7.3 points is that too risky
Reply 10
Original post by LIUDD
I’ve got around 7.3 points is that too risky

Cut off was 8.1 last year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending