The Student Room Group

How much should I pay for tax?

Hi, I am an international student who is currently working as a placement student, but I am not quite familiar with the tax system. I know that there are £12,570 personal allowance per tax year, and the tax year starts in April. As my placement starts in June this year, and it will end in July next year. Does this mean that I am entitled to £12,570 PA for the salaries earned from June 2023 - March 2024, and another £12,570 for the salaries earned from April 2024 - July 2024?
Reply 1
Original post by blackpinkieee
Hi, I am an international student who is currently working as a placement student, but I am not quite familiar with the tax system. I know that there are £12,570 personal allowance per tax year, and the tax year starts in April. As my placement starts in June this year, and it will end in July next year. Does this mean that I am entitled to £12,570 PA for the salaries earned from June 2023 - March 2024, and another £12,570 for the salaries earned from April 2024 - July 2024?

Yes, that's correct.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply! Do I have to do anything to pay the tax? From my payslip, it already deducted the amount for NI. What else do I need to do?
Original post by martin7
Yes, that's correct.
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply! Do I have to do anything to pay the tax? From my payslip, it already deducted the amount for NI. What else do I need to do?

Talk to HR to get a tax code - is there one on your pay slip? Have you earned any money already this tax year?

You are taxed on your total income so if you earn other money that counts towards the
Reply 4

You shouldn't need to do anything else.

Assuming you're looking at a payslip for July, you're 4 months into the tax year. So as long as your taxable pay so far is less than

412×12570=4190 {4 \over 12} \times 12570 = 4190

you have no income tax to pay.

As @Muttley79 notes, it will also depend on whether you've earned money from other jobs. And I'm assuming your tax code (it should be on your payslip) is 1257L.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by martin7
You shouldn't need to do anything else.

Assuming you're looking at a payslip for July, you're 4 months into the tax year. So as long as your taxable pay so far is less than

412×12570=4190 {4 \over 12} \times 12570 = 4190

you have no income tax to pay.

As @Muttley79 notes, it will also depend on whether you've earned money from other jobs. And I'm assuming your tax code (it should be on your payslip) is 1257L.

Sometimes people are put on emergency codes so do get taxed - which can then be sorted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending