The Student Room Group

Haven’t got paid

Hi guys so basically I haven’t got paid from my part time job yet. As I started in march, and since then I haven’t got paid. My boss said he will provide me with a new laptop, to make up for not getting paid. But I think I would like to get paid really.

As good as laptop sounds I still need to get paid. I’ve only worked there one a day from 9 till 5. They said to me they feel a bit dodgy paying me this x amount off money and they say it’s due to tax or something like that as I am self employed to them.

I don’t see why it’s difficult for them to pay me or say that it is due to tax issues. In general they seem like honest people as they are a family friend ours for a long time. However it shouldn’t be difficult to pay me as I am self employed to them.

Is there anything I should do? as i am well over due to get paid.
Reply 1
Could you explain what you/your boss mean when you say you are “self-employed to them”?
Read your contract thoroughly.
Your boss is legally required to pay you what is stated in your contract and when stated, and can only replace your salary with other things if you have explicitly consented and arranged for this to take place (ie if it were employee benefits being deducted from your salary).
They only have to work out tax if you are being paid more than £12,500 ish per year, which is unlikely.
Also might be helpful to ask other employees if they’ve had similar issues.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Jamesx199612
Hi guys so basically I haven’t got paid from my part time job yet. As I started in march, and since then I haven’t got paid. My boss said he will provide me with a new laptop, to make up for not getting paid. But I think I would like to get paid really.

As good as laptop sounds I still need to get paid. I’ve only worked there one a day from 9 till 5. They said to me they feel a bit dodgy paying me this x amount off money and they say it’s due to tax or something like that as I am self employed to them.

I don’t see why it’s difficult for them to pay me or say that it is due to tax issues. In general they seem like honest people as they are a family friend ours for a long time. However it shouldn’t be difficult to pay me as I am self employed to them.

Is there anything I should do? as i am well over due to get paid.

Regardless of if you are PAYE or a contractor they should be paying you inline with your contractual relationship. There is no tax issue, as you would pay the income tax.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jklaww
Could you explain what you/your boss mean when you say you are “self-employed to them”?
Read your contract thoroughly.
Your boss is legally required to pay you what is stated in your contract and when stated, and can only replace your salary with other things if you have explicitly consented and arranged for this to take place (ie if it were employee benefits being deducted from your salary).
They only have to work out tax if you are being paid more than £12,500 ish per year, which is unlikely.
Also might be helpful to ask other employees if they’ve had similar issues.

So is £12,000 most likely I would be paid then they are trying work out tax as I started in march. I didn’t get any contract to sign they just said basically I will get paid the same amount as I do from my work at the pub.

However it should not be an issue if it’s tax related it required by law that an employer or self employed should be getting paid as it would state on their contract or zero Hours contract. I just not have been presented anything about a contract given to me.

I will try and contact them to see what the update is as it’s not really fair.
Reply 4
You haven’t been given a contract and you started in March????? Do other employees have contracts???? If anything is “dodgy” here it’s not your taxes, it’s your boss.
What a mess.

You just need to make it clear that you've been unpaid for 7 months(!) and whilst you're enjoying the role you can't continue like this and it needs to be resolved in the next payroll cycle or you will move on.

Completely ignore the laptop offer. Laughable.
I would say pay me, or im talking to the ombudsman & hmrc.

Once you’ve got back paid, id be getting a new job.
Reply 7
Original post by jklaww
You haven’t been given a contract and you started in March????? Do other employees have contracts???? If anything is “dodgy” here it’s not your taxes, it’s your boss.

So I think I’ve been told that other employees work for themselves they have to clock their hours. So I think they are on zero hour contracts
Reply 8
Original post by Admit-One
What a mess.

You just need to make it clear that you've been unpaid for 7 months(!) and whilst you're enjoying the role you can't continue like this and it needs to be resolved in the next payroll cycle or you will move on.

Yeah I will say to them I’m not working with you unless I’ve got paid I honestly don’t know why it soo hard for them to get me paid and as much as it is nice to get a laptop I’d much rather get paid.
Reply 9
Original post by Admit-One
What a mess.

Would you know roughly how much I’d be getting paid when I started in march and it was once a day from 9 till 5
Original post by Jamesx199612
Would you know roughly how much I’d be getting paid when I started in march and it was once a day from 9 till 5

I haven't a clue. This is exactly why you don't start working until you've got a contract signed. They could turn around and offer you minimum wage for the duration.
Absolutely baffled you would put up with no wages for what 8/9 months? and even now you seem willing to walk away without it: No wonder they think they can get away with it.

By contrast, I've literally marched employers to cashpoints when they've tried their 'tax/accountant/no cash in office' crap
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending