The Student Room Group

P45

Hi can i request a p45 from an employer and still go back to work with them after getting the p45?
Original post by SLEE1001
Hi can i request a p45 from an employer and still go back to work with them after getting the p45?

You get a P45 when you stop working for a company - i.e. when your employment ends. I guess it's possible that they could re-hire you the next day. But you can't be an employee at the point the P45 is issued.

Note that when you employer issues you a P45, they send Part 1 of it to HMRC, so HMRC will know you no longer work there. You give Parts 2 and 3 to your new employer when you start work. In your case, that would be the same employer which issued it. :confused:

Why is it that you're trying to do this? Why do you want / need the P45?
Reply 2
I was working for a new job and had 40% tax withheld from my income as a student working 20 hours. The employer urged me to seek my p45 from my prior employer, which I did. Will this cause them to modify my tax code and pay the money deducted? Can I contact my previous employer to inform them that I want to return to work for them?
I was working for a new job and had 40% tax withheld from my income as a student working 20 hours.

It's quite common to be on an emergency tax code when you start at a new job, until the new company and HMRC work out how much tax you paid whilst employed by your previous employer, and therefore how much of your personal allowance is left. However, an emergency tax code would mean that you paying 20% on the first £12,570 of your earnings (rather than 0% on that amount as it's you personal allowance). I've never heard of someone paying 40% tax on then earnings in these circumstance.

The employer urged me to seek my p45 from my prior employer, which I did. Will this cause them to modify my tax code and pay the money deducted?

Once your new company received the P45 (well, parts 2 and 3 - as I said earlier HMRC gets part 1, and you get to keep part 1A), they'll adjust your tax code you ensure that you're paying the correct amount of tax. What would normally happen is that the amount you've overpaid would be returned to you via your next pay check.

Can I contact my previous employer to inform them that I want to return to work for them?

Are you considering returning to your previous employer in the hope that they'll be in a better position to calculate the tax you owe correctly, and you get get some much-needed income quickly? I actually think this will complicate matters. Has your new company issued your P45 yet? Have you passed it to your new employer? Can you ask them for an advance on your next pay check whilst this gets sorted out?
Reply 4
my old employer sent out the p45 today and i have forwarded it in the mail to my new employer. I just hope they pay all the money deducted from my pay on the next pay date is that what you mean by overpaid?
my old employer sent out the p45 today and i have forwarded it in the mail to my new employer. I just hope they pay all the money deducted from my pay on the next pay date is that what you mean by overpaid?

Yes, that's what I mean. They deduct tax from you and pay it to HMRC. So them deducting too much tax is the same as you paying too much tax.

When is the next pay date? Don't wait until then to confirm that it's sorted. Give them a few days to process the P45 and then contact them to confirm it's been processed and that the amount of tax which you've overpaid (i.e. that they withheld) will be refunded to you in full on the next pay date.

If they stall and say they're still processing the P45, then call back in a few days. You may need to hound them. They won't understand the financial hardship that this might cause you - you will need to make it very clear to them how important it is. Good luck!
Original post by DataVenia
Yes, that's what I mean. They deduct tax from you and pay it to HMRC. So them deducting too much tax is the same as you paying too much tax.

When is the next pay date? Don't wait until then to confirm that it's sorted. Give them a few days to process the P45 and then contact them to confirm it's been processed and that the amount of tax which you've overpaid (i.e. that they withheld) will be refunded to you in full on the next pay date.

If they stall and say they're still processing the P45, then call back in a few days. You may need to hound them. They won't understand the financial hardship that this might cause you - you will need to make it very clear to them how important it is. Good luck!

Exactly.
I'd deffo phone HMRC before next pay date. To confirm that your tax code has been altered and you will get back any overpaid tax next pay date. If it hasn't been sorted then you phoning to sort it usually sorts things out. Don't just leave it to chance, HMRC can occasionally be a bit slow. So best to phone.
Reply 7
i have called HMRC to no avail the past week but the new employer has received my p45 and they said they can adjust the tax code and have my refund paid back to me, What do you guys think about this or do i still need to call HMRC? Please advise.
i have called HMRC to no avail the past week but the new employer has received my p45 and they said they can adjust the tax code and have my refund paid back to me, What do you guys think about this or do i still need to call HMRC? Please advise.

I wouldn't call HMRC. I'd just double-check with your new employer a few days before your next pay check is due to ensure there haven't been any issues.
Reply 9
Original post by DataVenia
I wouldn't call HMRC. I'd just double-check with your new employer a few days before your next pay check is due to ensure there haven't been any issues.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending