The Student Room Group

UCL or Sheffield?

I have offers from both for Civil Engineering, AAA from UCL and AAB from Sheffield. I can't decide between them!
UCL seems to be the better university overall, but I think Sheffield is better for Civil Engineering. I would like to be in London, but Sheffield seems like a great place too, so I'm not too bothered about location.
Obviously I can't put Sheffield 1st and UCL 2nd, So it has to be either UCL and Sheffield or Sheffield and Nottingham.
Any advice? Does anyone study civil at either of these places?
Reply 1
If I were you, I would do

firm : UCL
insurance : Sheffield
Reply 2
i hear sheffield is better on the engineering front. ive visited it and i think its a great department and university. however, i cant really comment on UCL, never been. its possible the grade reqs are just out of oversubscription!

if you can, visit both maybe? look at everything, not just prestige/academia. there may be some dicriminatory factors important to you specifically, that will help you to choose.

im a northerner, so on bias, SHEFFIELD.

i was going to apply there, but i thought it better to have 3 architecture choices instead.
Reply 3
I suggested UCL because it has a better overall prestige so it will leave you with more options in the end. Their engineering is while may not be as strong as Sheffield's, is still very good and certainly not put you at any disadvantages compared to a Sheffield engineering graduate.
Reply 4
Ucl ^^
Reply 5
UCL like above but then London is also far far better then Sheffield. You wont get bored of London as its endless in comparison to Sheffield....
Reply 6
hey sophie,
i know this a very very old post.
but i really need ur word of advice on this, because i am on the exact same boat that is ucl or sheffield.
i am also looking for best job prospects in structural engineering but the expense in london kinda scare me though it is affordable for me.
thank you. waiting for your reply.

Original post by sophie..
I have offers from both for Civil Engineering, AAA from UCL and AAB from Sheffield. I can't decide between them!
UCL seems to be the better university overall, but I think Sheffield is better for Civil Engineering. I would like to be in London, but Sheffield seems like a great place too, so I'm not too bothered about location.
Obviously I can't put Sheffield 1st and UCL 2nd, So it has to be either UCL and Sheffield or Sheffield and Nottingham.
Any advice? Does anyone study civil at either of these places?
Original post by nafeela.r
hey sophie,
i know this a very very old post.
but i really need ur word of advice on this, because i am on the exact same boat that is ucl or sheffield.
i am also looking for best job prospects in structural engineering but the expense in london kinda scare me though it is affordable for me.
thank you. waiting for your reply.

Sophie would've been in industry for 5/6 years at this point so I don't think she's on TSR any more haha

I'm a bit biased but I would say go for Sheffield, their Civil department is quite strong with good links to industry.
Reply 8
Thank u for the reply .
I knew she wouldn't be , but just tried to hear a word .
Have u studied in Sheffield too ?
Original post by Helloworld_95
Sophie would've been in industry for 5/6 years at this point so I don't think she's on TSR any more haha

I'm a bit biased but I would say go for Sheffield, their Civil department is quite strong with good links to industry.
Original post by nafeela.r
Thank u for the reply .
I knew she wouldn't be , but just tried to hear a word .
Have u studied in Sheffield too ?

Yep

Quick Reply

Latest