The Student Room Group

Question re bursary for teacher training

I'm considering my options for teacher training, and have been looking at PGCE, schools direct and also teach first. Ultimately, I intend to teach abroad after completing my training. I have been reading about the bursaries available for training in secondary maths which is very appealing.

However I wonder whether there is something in the T&Cs about having to remain teaching in the UK for a number of years afterwards. If I were to move abroad immediately or soon after completing my training, is it possible I would need to return the bursary?

Any help much appreciated
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by pokerdaddy
I'm considering my options for teacher training, and have been looking at PGCE, schools direct and also teach first. Ultimately, I intend to teach abroad after completing my training. I have been reading about the bursaries available for training in secondary maths which is very appealing.

However I wonder whether there is something in the T&Cs about having to remain teaching in the UK for a number of years afterwards. If I were to move abroad immediately or soon after completing my training, is it possible I would need to return the bursary?

Any help much appreciated

I don't think so. From what I remember, the bursary was pretty lax in the way it was administered. I don't think people who dropped out mid-course had to pay it back either.
Reply 2
There is something in the 'contract' about it being contingent on you looking 'in good faith' for UK teaching jobs on completion, or at least there was when I did mine in 2020.

But it is not enforced (indeed I don't know how they could!)
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending