Computer science Exeter vs Cardiff
Which one to choose?
Help please
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi guys,

Which one to choose?
Help please

Hi there! I can't really tell you which one is better to choose but I can share a few things about Cardiff that might help inform your decision :smile:

Computer Science at Cardiff is a brilliant course, which offers a year of study abroad and/or an industrial placement year. I'm doing placement year (although in a different degree subject) but I can vouch that it is an incredible experience! The course offers mentoring, and is accredited by the BCS. The building that the course is based at is in the ABACWS, which is the university's newest building. It was built a few years ago and is very modern, with a lot of study spaces. It's a really lovely place to study!

Everything that you really need at Cardiff is on campus, but if you ever felt like you needed anything more, the campus is right next to city center. Cardiff remains one of the more affordable cities in the UK, and we have a Lidl on campus. Everything is at a walkable distance so you don't have to worry about public transport either. Even with private student housing, students still stick quite close and its rare to find student accomodation far from campus.

Hope that's helped! Let me know if you had any questions :smile:

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Hi guys,

Which one to choose?
Help please

Hi! I'm currently in my first year studying Computer Science at Exeter. I obviously can't say anything about the Cardiff course, but I am loving the Exeter course. We have great modules available (which I think you can find on the website) which have a good split between coursework and exams as the assessments. The lecturers are all very good, and the content is very interesting. The Computer Science Society is not very active, but that’s the only thing that I can think of that isn't great about the course (and not really the fault of the uni!)

Exeter is a great city for pubs, and has a few clubs that people go to (I'm more of a pub person, so don't know much about them beyond their names and the nights people go to them).

Do you have any specific questions?
Hi guys,

Which one to choose?
Help please

Hi anonymous, as both previous replies in this thread have said, there are likely lots of positives to both courses, and so it might help to think a little bit about what kind of experience you want to prioritise in your degree.

For example, are there any particular topics you find interesting about computer science? In which case it might be worth checking the course content of each of the degrees and the research interest of the academic staff in each department to see if one is a particularly good fit relative to the other. As both Cardiff and Exeter are research-intensive universities it means that the active research interests and projects of the academics will directly inform what is taught and how the undergraduate degree is structured. As an example for Exeter, you can find more details on the course content here and on the research interests of our department here. From an academic perspective, you might also look at different opportunities like an Industrial Placement Year (available at the University of Exeter) that might also help differentiate between the two degree programmes.

As well as an academic perspective, it might be worth thinking about the sort of social life and work-life balance you want to have at university. Would you rather be in a bigger capital city like Cardiff, likely with busier nightlife, or somewhere slightly smaller like Exeter which is close to the sea and green spaces (Dartmoor and Exmoor are both on our doorstep!) - but not to say that Exeter doesn't have its own collection of excellent pubs and clubs. You also might want to think about hobbies or interests you might have? Do you like playing any particularly sport? Or do you enjoy a certain genre of music? Is there anything you'd like to try for the first time while at university. Having a look at each universities list of sports clubs and societies (available for Exeter here and here) can also be a good way to decide between the opportunities available at each.

Perhaps the best way to get a feel for a university is to talk with current students. Honeycomb1 has already kindly replied in this chat to share some of their experiences of the course at Exeter, but you might also want to consider visiting us at at Offer-Holder Day where you'll get to talk and interact with many other students, alongside activities such as accommodation and campus tours. You can find details for those, including dates and how to book on, here. Alternatively, if you aren't able to visit, you can still chat to current students using our Unibuddy chat service accessible here. Make sure to filter by subject to chat to someone currently studying Computer Science or a related subject in the same department.

I hope this advice is helpful, but please let me know if you've got any follow up questions. Ultimately the decision will be yours to make, and involve a number of personal factors about which university feels right for you, but thinking about both the academic and social experience can be a good place to start!

Kingsley
University of Exeter Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending